Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
5,468 Posts
If you go out with a group of guys you will need to communicate with them somehow. It's easier to do it by CB than to call each person individually by cell. Some places may not have cell service. It's also a safety issue to.

I use a hand held Cobra CB. I can take it with me if I go on a hike and I can put it anywhere in the vehicle I need to. If I have a back seat rider, they can be responsible for communications while I drive.

· Wheeler
1,837 Posts
I finally broke down & put in a CB,,,,$39 at Radio Shack is all you need. But you'll also have to do some wiring, antenna mounting, and tuning (that's the hard part,,,I still can't get mine quite right & may have to break down & call someone who knows what they are doing)

But I will say this: those hand held Family Radio System dealios work just as well. Trail communication is pretty short distance anyway,,,and mostly line-of-sight. When I wheel with folks who don't have CBs we use these & they work fine for less hassle.

But CBs are rule for most organized trips & generally required for trail leaders. If I had to choose between the two, I would choose those family radio system walkie-talkies.

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
Rover Nick said:
I see lots of Pics with CB radios, and hear about some people puttin' them in. Are they really neccesary, or just something else to spend $$$ on?
Some clubs, such as Rover Riders here in Colorado, require that each member have a CB for communication on the trail. I have used the hand held walkie talkies and have had no problems.....I also use the walkie talkie for road trips in a group..... When we are spread far apart I wish I had a CB

· Registered
350 Posts
I have a CB in my truck, but I seldom use it unless I'm on the highway. I generally use HAM radio for vehicle-to-vehicle communications, especially on the trail. It's all a matter of preference, and how in-depth you want to get. For example, I have over $1500 in communications equipment in my Rover, but I'm nuts like that :)

· Registered
5,468 Posts
FelixLockhart said:
I have over $1500 in communications equipment in my Rover, but I'm nuts like that :)

Jew gots some esssplaining to do Lucy.

Oh, and what's up with the "rainbow" in the avatar. :dunno: Don't worry, I'm a tolerant type of guy. I just don't want to offend :eek: you later with my fascination with sheep....er....whatever that means. What I mean to say is, well nevermind. :cool:

· Registered
350 Posts
I have a CB, two mobile HAM radios, several high-end antennas, a handheld unit, and other miscellaneous radios.

And the rainbow is there because I'm gay. And a mechanic. And when I joined this forum, it was the first avatar I'd already drawn that came to mind :p

· as good as it gets
331 Posts
I had a $500 dollar Ranger 150 watt leaner built in Ham radio in my Rover...It was WAY to big to find a decent place for it in my truck...but I could get out along ways to find out what mile marker one was setting on the south bound side...lol

I am now going to by one of those small Midland units and attach it to my roof where the garage door button goes.

· Registered
42 Posts
While we are on the topic, Felix would you mind if I asked for some quick advice?
My LR has a Sony CDXM620 Stereo installed. To my old ears the CD player sounds fantastic but being old I also like to listen to AM radio. This radio has poor AM reception. I suspect that the antenna is the problem as it's a tad loose and possibly has lost some of it's ground.
Can you recommend anything that will perk up the reception. I am getting a new antenna. Would something from Radio Shack do the trick?
Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Ed H in Calgary AB.

· Registered
350 Posts
Hmm, without seeing the truck hands-on, I can only guess. The loose antenna is the likely culprit, but if that doesn't work, it could be interferance through the electrical system, depending on what other equipment you have hooked up. Make sure everything has sufficient grounding, and if you have anything installed that uses an electric motor (items with cooling fans, etc), make sure the cord has a ferrite core.

Also, you might want to check into an antenna booster. These are usually coils that are plugged into the coax line for the antenna, and they boost the antenna length.

Good luck! Let me know if you're still having problems with it :)

· Registered
707 Posts
Felix, I'm going to be looking into putting some communications equipment in the disco soon... is there a website with good pricing and infomation on it i could look through?

· Registered
130 Posts
What type of communication equipment?

If you are looking at getting a CB I know a really good dealer in the STL area. I am sure he would be able to ship out his products. He is a full time Buster Brown driver and has a CB shop on the side. I have never met such a fair CB guy before who does honest work and is not out to screw you.

Let me know if you want his info, he does not have a web site but there are plenty out there on the web that you can get your info from and ask his questions.

CB forum and shop

This is a good site with a lot of good info. Hope this helps.

· Registered
350 Posts
If you're looking for a CB, follow NoWake's advice and go to a shop local to you, or a truck stop. A local radio shop would be ideal, they can probably get the best antennas, mounts, and radios. Don't go to Radio Shack, they don't know jack about anything more complicated than a cordless phone. And Wal-Mart sells CBs too, don't buy from them. Get one from Cobra, they're the best.

If you're looking into HAM radio equipment (what's your callsign?), go to www.aesham.com. If they have a store local to you, even better. They have some of the best prices, a wide selection, and a nice online catalog with pictures and full specs for everything they sell.

· Registered
707 Posts
Thanks Guys!! I'm going to begin doing my research. CB, Roger over and out

Damn smokies

· as good as it gets
331 Posts
DiscoPilot said:
Thanks Guys!! I'm going to begin doing my research. CB, Roger over and out

Damn smokies

Break - 1-9...10/4 DiscoPilot.....how bout a smokey check on that south bound side...

You got one setting back there at the 191 mile marker with a four wheeler....other than that is it clear sailing all the way back to the state line. :drive:

· Registered
130 Posts
Discrover said:
Break - 1-9...10/4 DiscoPilot.....how bout a smokey check on that south bound side...

You got one setting back there at the 191 mile marker with a four wheeler....other than that is it clear sailing all the way back to the state line. :drive:
Bear & Yard Stick. :D :drive:

Just remember, if you want truckers to talk back you have to sound like one. Have to work on the drawel(sp). :D :D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.