Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

CB Radio

7K views 39 replies 16 participants last post by  RageRover 
#1 ·
I see lots of Pics with CB radios, and hear about some people puttin' them in. Are they really neccesary, or just something else to spend $$$ on?

#2 ·
If you go out with a group of guys you will need to communicate with them somehow. It's easier to do it by CB than to call each person individually by cell. Some places may not have cell service. It's also a safety issue to.

I use a hand held Cobra CB. I can take it with me if I go on a hike and I can put it anywhere in the vehicle I need to. If I have a back seat rider, they can be responsible for communications while I drive.

#3 ·
I finally broke down & put in a CB,,,,$39 at Radio Shack is all you need. But you'll also have to do some wiring, antenna mounting, and tuning (that's the hard part,,,I still can't get mine quite right & may have to break down & call someone who knows what they are doing)

But I will say this: those hand held Family Radio System dealios work just as well. Trail communication is pretty short distance anyway,,,and mostly line-of-sight. When I wheel with folks who don't have CBs we use these & they work fine for less hassle.

But CBs are rule for most organized trips & generally required for trail leaders. If I had to choose between the two, I would choose those family radio system walkie-talkies.

#4 ·
Rover Nick said:
I see lots of Pics with CB radios, and hear about some people puttin' them in. Are they really neccesary, or just something else to spend $$$ on?
Some clubs, such as Rover Riders here in Colorado, require that each member have a CB for communication on the trail. I have used the hand held walkie talkies and have had no problems.....I also use the walkie talkie for road trips in a group..... When we are spread far apart I wish I had a CB

#5 ·
I have a CB in my truck, but I seldom use it unless I'm on the highway. I generally use HAM radio for vehicle-to-vehicle communications, especially on the trail. It's all a matter of preference, and how in-depth you want to get. For example, I have over $1500 in communications equipment in my Rover, but I'm nuts like that :)

#6 ·
FelixLockhart said:
I have over $1500 in communications equipment in my Rover, but I'm nuts like that :)

Jew gots some esssplaining to do Lucy.

Oh, and what's up with the "rainbow" in the avatar. :dunno: Don't worry, I'm a tolerant type of guy. I just don't want to offend :eek: you later with my fascination with sheep....er....whatever that means. What I mean to say is, well nevermind. :cool:

#11 ·
I had a $500 dollar Ranger 150 watt leaner built in Ham radio in my Rover...It was WAY to big to find a decent place for it in my truck...but I could get out along ways to find out what mile marker one was setting on the south bound side...lol

I am now going to by one of those small Midland units and attach it to my roof where the garage door button goes.

#12 ·
While we are on the topic, Felix would you mind if I asked for some quick advice?
My LR has a Sony CDXM620 Stereo installed. To my old ears the CD player sounds fantastic but being old I also like to listen to AM radio. This radio has poor AM reception. I suspect that the antenna is the problem as it's a tad loose and possibly has lost some of it's ground.
Can you recommend anything that will perk up the reception. I am getting a new antenna. Would something from Radio Shack do the trick?
Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Ed H in Calgary AB.

#13 ·
Hmm, without seeing the truck hands-on, I can only guess. The loose antenna is the likely culprit, but if that doesn't work, it could be interferance through the electrical system, depending on what other equipment you have hooked up. Make sure everything has sufficient grounding, and if you have anything installed that uses an electric motor (items with cooling fans, etc), make sure the cord has a ferrite core.

Also, you might want to check into an antenna booster. These are usually coils that are plugged into the coax line for the antenna, and they boost the antenna length.

Good luck! Let me know if you're still having problems with it :)

#14 ·
Felix, I'm going to be looking into putting some communications equipment in the disco soon... is there a website with good pricing and infomation on it i could look through?

#15 ·
What type of communication equipment?

If you are looking at getting a CB I know a really good dealer in the STL area. I am sure he would be able to ship out his products. He is a full time Buster Brown driver and has a CB shop on the side. I have never met such a fair CB guy before who does honest work and is not out to screw you.

Let me know if you want his info, he does not have a web site but there are plenty out there on the web that you can get your info from and ask his questions.

CB forum and shop

This is a good site with a lot of good info. Hope this helps.

#17 ·
If you're looking for a CB, follow NoWake's advice and go to a shop local to you, or a truck stop. A local radio shop would be ideal, they can probably get the best antennas, mounts, and radios. Don't go to Radio Shack, they don't know jack about anything more complicated than a cordless phone. And Wal-Mart sells CBs too, don't buy from them. Get one from Cobra, they're the best.

If you're looking into HAM radio equipment (what's your callsign?), go to www.aesham.com. If they have a store local to you, even better. They have some of the best prices, a wide selection, and a nice online catalog with pictures and full specs for everything they sell.

#18 ·
Thanks Guys!! I'm going to begin doing my research. CB, Roger over and out

Damn smokies

#19 ·
DiscoPilot said:

Damn smokies

Break - 1-9...10/4 DiscoPilot.....how bout a smokey check on that south bound side...

You got one setting back there at the 191 mile marker with a four wheeler....other than that is it clear sailing all the way back to the state line. :drive:

#20 ·
Discrover said:
Break - 1-9...10/4 DiscoPilot.....how bout a smokey check on that south bound side...

You got one setting back there at the 191 mile marker with a four wheeler....other than that is it clear sailing all the way back to the state line. :drive:
Bear & Yard Stick. :D :drive:

Just remember, if you want truckers to talk back you have to sound like one. Have to work on the drawel(sp). :D :D

#21 ·
DiscoPilot said:

Damn smokies
Let me know if I can help you out or if you have any questions. IMO do not get carried away with too much power. Every wire in your truck turns into a antenna and it can create havoc on your electronics. Keep it a simple peak and tune radio.

Also some of the radio shops are snakes, I know this because one took me for a ride with my first radio. Never again.

FelixLockhart said it right......stay away from RadioShack!

#22 ·
Sorry for the hijack....Does everyone with a CB in their rover get engine noise coming through the CB speaker? Ive had a Cobra 75WXST and I returned it because of the noise I was hearing. Then I borrowed my friends handheld Cobra and it did the same thing. The handheld was running on batteries using its own built-in antenna BTW. Does a CB with Noise-Blanker help?

#23 ·
Thanks Felix

Thanks for the advice felix..sorry it took so long getting back. home computer is frazzled.
I have not had time to work on the radio yet but I will probably replace the antenna and add one of those boosters you mentioned.
Everyone seems to knock Radio Shack for advice but I presume their boosters and antenna's are OK?

Ed

#24 ·
sven said:
Sorry for the hijack....Does everyone with a CB in their rover get engine noise coming through the CB speaker? Ive had a Cobra 75WXST and I returned it because of the noise I was hearing. Then I borrowed my friends handheld Cobra and it did the same thing. The handheld was running on batteries using its own built-in antenna BTW. Does a CB with Noise-Blanker help?
Yes, most of the bigger CBs have a ANL/NB switch. Every truck not just the Land Rovers have noise...of course some worse than others. This is coming from the alternator and with a CB being a simple AM radio it picks it up.

With the ANL/NB on and the squelch(?) set correct you should not hear any engine noise.

#25 ·
ehh guys i know you all said Cobra .. but how does Uniden stack up. I have a couple Yr old bear cat scanner that seems to be great... something like this http://www.walcottcb.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=85_37&products_id=923

damn so many choices... is there any publications i can look to for unbiased reviews? I have alot of research to do. DO I need or want a 10meter radio? what damn antenna would that require? SHOOT ME NOW!

ehh? http://www.walcottcb.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28_97&products_id=896

NOWAKE about what are you looking to get price wise? is there a PA/CB switch..

You All please keep in mind in know about 2 cents more than Dick about radios

#26 ·
DiscoPilot,

I am looking to get $180 for it, she already peaked and tuned(keys 9w; swings 28-30w). It does have a PA outlet. I posted a picture of it for you.

I have a Uniden in my Pick-up and it is ok. Not the best but I do like the weather band. $129 for the radio, then you are looking at $20-$30 of the Peak and Tune, then about $10 for the Talk Back. I would also recomend getting a new MIC, the stocks are not really any good. Astic make nice ones and so does Road King. Just so you know....now if you want to keep it stock the no extra money.

The FireSticks are good Ant. I really like that style, no need to cut wire or whips to make the SWR come down for the radio.

10 meter radios are nice and you will get more power out of them, but then again it is all what you plan on doing with. A good 10m radio will be in the upper $200 to $400. Unless your on it all day long a normal CB that is P&T will work for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.