Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning.
I've tried searching here, and other sites, to no avail. Can anyone post pics or diagram of wiring CB radio to battery? Things to know: 1) '01 DII ,,, 2) drivers-side center console mount ,,, 3) complete electrical idiot (me) ,,, 4) If possible I would like CB to work when ignition is off. Can I wire to elec. box under drivers side dash? Or do I have to run wire directly to battery? The antennae piece I've got good links on, but not the radio itself. Any help appreciated. Thanks

PS- Irony is my father was an elec. engineer,,, it must skip a generation...

·
Registered
234 Posts
If it's a typical CB you have two wires to hook up, positive and ground. The brown wire that connects to the fuse panel under the steering wheel is a battery wire (always hot). A convenant ground may be your cigarette lighter wiring. I would use clip on wire taps for both. I'm not sure what you're asking about the antennae wire.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
SCSL, if you want to be able to switch it on, with the ignition off, it's wiser to wire it to the accessories position. If it's 'alive' with the ignition off, and you forget to turn the unit off, you'll end up with a flat battery.

·
2,986 Posts
wiretaps, which are the things that will slide over the connector of the fuse, and provide you with a metal connector to attach the wire to, for some odd reason would never fit in my fuse block.. so what I did, was get a connector that crimped right in the middle of a wire (I have an aftermarket sunroof which had a few wires running), and attached the hot wire to that.. then grounded it to the screws on the hinges of access door.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Disco said:
SCSL, if you want to be able to switch it on, with the ignition off, it's wiser to wire it to the accessories position. If it's 'alive' with the ignition off, and you forget to turn the unit off, you'll end up with a flat battery.
As Disco says.....

Also - Be very bloody sure of your ground (Black wire) - this should be mounted to your chassis and against BARE metal...if it is mounted against metal that is painted use sandpaper to get to the metal. The reason is it will stop that annoying buzz or whirring sound as you accelerate. Normally heard on aftermarket stereo's with large amps - very bloody annoying!

The best way to wire the power wire (red one) is directly to the fuse box, locate either one of the accessory items like Disco said or find another. What you can to cheat (like me :D ) is find a wire in the truck near where you want to mount it - use a multimeter to check for current when the truck is on (and none when off) then just splice into it. <---not recommended but a nice easy lazy way to do it :buttrock:

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.
I've also decided against popular wisdom & I'm mounting the antena to the front bumper, rather than the rear tire carrier w/ cable thru the rear wiper grommet. Just seems much simpler, much more accessible in the event of repair, to go from radio thru firewall & out the front. I can't imagine there would be that big a difference in reception as you're only talking about 6" or so difference in mounting height (my front bumper is pretty high). I'll find someone w/ a tuner to tune it and hopefully will be good to go. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again for the feedback.

·
Polish and proud of it.
631 Posts
What are other good locations for an antena to mount on Disco II ?

I'm thinking of geting two center leaded antenas and figure out if the roof rack wonabe is holow to run that coax into the cab thrue those things on the roof .

So the antena would be on some kind of swivel that I can pull it down when entering parcking garage or something simular.

BTW this page is cool http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/63Things.htm
also as this one :) http://www.signalengineering.com/ultimate/mobile_antennas.html

BTW Cigarete lighter turns off when the key is pulled out :) . so it's like an accesorie .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.