Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my cdl working with a little help from keptin (thanks dude). I ended up using a nut from my stock bumper that i just removed to attach the thing...i am glad i kept all that stuff. and i started to wait until morning to do it since its dark, but i figured that since i had to do it all by feel anyway without seeing anything that i might as well do it! and it was SO easy!!! and it works like a charm!!! i can't wait to test it. i hope i can tell a difference!

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
need a dash pic to prove it...

hehe....j/k...hey, great job, post some pics of the linkage and what not.....i want to see how yours turned out....btw, how much did it cost you, and how long to make it?

you will feel the difference....your TC will not be chugging away at everything, be sure to use it off the road only.....I use it mostly for mud/damp soil, sand, steep hill climbs, heavy articulation situations, etc. etc. ...just not all the time on normal trail.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it cost me $7.80 from Lowes! It looks pretty much iddentical to yours. I know not to use it on the road, but it seems that as long as i am in dirt that it wouldn't hurt to have it on. I know the pavement will eat up the tries with it on, but what are the down sides to having it on for normal trail riding? I can't till i tell my wheeling buddies, "hold on while i hop out, bend under my truck, and turn off my cdl!..on the passenger side none the less!" hahaha!!!

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
hehe....that is exactly what I tell my buddies.

There should really be no problems having it on the whole time on trails. On packed dry dirt there might be enough friction to create torque wind up, but I seriously doubt it. Your probably fine leaving it on the whole time....there was a thread on either dweb or here that was something like, "CDL - when to use it". I choose not to keep it engaged when I dont need it, because I find that I rarely do NEED it, and dont want to put extra wear anything when I dont have to. I live in a desert and its usually dry....TC can handle mostly anything except for when I articulate enough.....I use it the whole time when the trails get wet though....so im sure it depends on what you are riding on.

Others can give you better technical insight on this topic than I.

·
Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,942 Posts
Those are some very fine blue prints! Very innovative. i never did that with the stuff I built. Would come in handy if i had to make it again.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
lol....they arnt mine.....I found them at that link above. I thought they were a bit crude on the art side....if he went through all the trouble he could of at least used a ruler....oh well, at least they exist..and are accurate.

btw, josh, ....wow...thats wierd...., since you live in GA, im sure you will be fine keeping your CDL engaged the entire time.....since its not like locking axles, only the driveshafts, it should be no problem for where you live and most trails that you probably go on....

·
Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,942 Posts
My mistake, but yeah.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Loctite thread locker

drum....one last thing....you might consider putting a bit of REMOVEABLE STRENGTH (not the red stuff....that will bond.....but the blue I believe) loctite thread locker on the nut/threads on top of the CDL nipple. This will ensure that it will never come off till you want it to....the worst case scenario would be that the nut comes off and the linkage falls into a moving u-joint.....then destroys that or more likely, catches and spins around ripping everything apart underneath.

here is a link from lowes....notice that its the BLUE stuff, in a red bottle....so confusing...

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=42539-133-42539&lpage=none

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Using the CDL where there's LOTS of traction will result in a very costly repair bill when either a driveshaft or the centre diff itself goes 'kablooey'
You may want to venture further and find a DI CDL linkage or do the linkage that uses socket extensions to put the lever inside the truck.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
yeah....it would really have to be quite a lot though....such as dry packed dirt. Drum....for now, use what you have....keep it for a while and see. Your disco will be able to do things it wasnt able to before......and you will only have to engage your CDL for those things.....for stuff you have been doing you dont even need it, though it could definatly help.

To give you an idea, I usually turn the CDL off/on perhaps twice per trip. Since it takes about 15sec to get out and do it, it's not a big deal. For tougher stuff, such as hill climbs, your buddies will probably go one at a time anyway, giving you time to engage it.

see how you like it....you spent on it about what it takes to get a large grilled chicken sandwich combo, curly fries and a shake.....so if you replace it, no regrets.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
steve...as long as i am rolling along slowly on a trail wouldn't it be ok to use the cdl...or what if i was going over rocks? they have a lot of traction, but the cdl would help if a tire got of the ground. i am sure i will be fine...i don't plan to use it too much, but i am glad i have it when i do need it! if you could, steve give me some examples of when the cdl will help me a lot!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Any time you're on a surface that will allow the tyres to slip a little, the CDL can be used. On pavement there's too much traction and it will bind. Anytime there's a reasonable expectation for slippage, use the CDL.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
drum655 said:
give me some examples of when the cdl will help me a lot!
heavy sand, light sand, damp dirt, wet dirt, wet sand, wet rocks, thick mud, thin mud, snow, snow-ice, slush, muddy rocks, snow-covered rocks, slick rocks, loose rocks, tiny loose rocks, loose debris, hill climbs, articulation situations, loose gravel, sand-covered rocks, wet/thick vegetation, logs-fallen trees, wood chips, mud ruts, water crossings, mud-sand, green grass, damp sand, and more!

....just not great for dry dirt, packed sand, packed-dry dirt, asphalt (surface), concrete (surface), cobblestone, brick, glass, marble, dry wood, dead grass, lightly damp dirt, lightly damp sand, and more!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.