What about blinkerfliud ha mines low

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
11 Posts
That was an old joke with my high school friends along with rebuilding your dip stick, hard work, cost a lot, we did not work at a shop or anything, just thought it was funny when friends asked what was wrong with there car! Especially girls! Cdl lock I need tho bad!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'll be doing my cdl lock as soon as the misses ok's it but really I've been surprised how well it does open I've had opposite wheels off the ground onsome steep stuff, which my buddies built pathfinder and a couple others had to totally just back off and gun it! A few timesto get up! Rovers make everything look so smooth! Trac control does what it says I guess, still wanna up grade tho, course!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll be doing my cdl lock as soon as the misses ok's it but really I've been surprised how well it does open I've had opposite wheels off the ground onsome steep stuff, which my buddies built pathfinder and a couple others had to totally just back off and gun it! A few timesto get up! Rovers make everything look so smooth! Trac control does what it says I guess, still wanna up grade tho, course!
I think that after rebuilding the front drive shaft, then bringing your rig up to maintenance, the CDL is the most important and FIRST true mod a DII owner should do. My traction control worked great in many situations but having CDL now helps out much better and TC comes on very rarely. I'm glad I did it and IMHO Land Rover was WAY wrong to omit CDL thinking that their TC system would be just as great....its good, but it will never replace CDL.

Good Luck, and if you have any questions, post them on the thread so we can help out others.

josh

·
Registered
11 Posts
ya how suprised was I when the day after I bought it I put it low to show my wife what happenes when locked and turn a circle and nothing no hop, no scrubbing! I thought I had just bought a glorified subaru! ya - then checked into and seems like a cake job, thanks for the info, all be checking the post when Its time to get busy on it. around how much does it cost, I think I have seen a couple different way to do it, Disco linkage solinoid.... oh and you mentioned the front shaft, was that down-rated with out the CDL's or do they just have issues?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya how suprised was I when the day after I bought it I put it low to show my wife what happenes when locked and turn a circle and nothing no hop, no scrubbing! I thought I had just bought a glorified subaru! ya - then checked into and seems like a cake job, thanks for the info, all be checking the post when Its time to get busy on it. around how much does it cost, I think I have seen a couple different way to do it, Disco linkage solinoid.... oh and you mentioned the front shaft, was that down-rated with out the CDL's or do they just have issues?
Do a search for front drive shaft. Basically 2 of the 3 ujoints are not servicable and when they go out your front drive shaft breaks (where its connected at the t-case) and takes out your transmission. No joke...get that taken care of asap!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Front Propeller Shaft

U joint at transfer case almost shredded on wife, her ride. 65K 99 D2 V8 Auto. This truck has been always on paved roads only. My ? took the Front Propeller Shaft off. Thing will not budge an inch forward or reverse with only Rear Propeller Shaft, think we tried all gears etc. Why would the two wheel rear not engage?
Thanks if you can offer insight.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi there!

Since this question does not relate to installing CDL on a DII, I have answered it in it's own thread.

MARS D2 99 V8 ** Front propeller shaft**

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have been reading this write-up:

www.discovery2.co.uk/Factory Diff Lock

I have verified that my 2001 D2 is a 01/01 build, and I crawled underneath, and found the diff lock nipple on the trans. I keep hearing "You just use the factory diff lock cable/shifter", with out any further explaination. Does this mean that I can just use the stock shifter cable/shifter from a D1, or do I have to find the '04 diff lock cable/shifter?

I'd rather not rip apart my daily driver untill I have all the correct parts on hand. I work at a custom car shop, and have no problem doing the work, just want to get started with all the right parts.

I am an avid off-roader, but don't really plan on doing any serious wheeling with this rig, but still, to know that the diff lock option is on the truck, and not hooked up is just killing me.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A few options with CDL LEVER/Actuators for DII

I have been reading this write-up:

www.discovery2.co.uk/Factory Diff Lock

I have verified that my 2001 D2 is a 01/01 build, and I crawled underneath, and found the diff lock nipple on the trans. I keep hearing "You just use the factory diff lock cable/shifter", with out any further explaination. Does this mean that I can just use the stock shifter cable/shifter from a D1, or do I have to find the '04 diff lock cable/shifter?

I'd rather not rip apart my daily driver untill I have all the correct parts on hand. I work at a custom car shop, and have no problem doing the work, just want to get started with all the right parts.

I am an avid off-roader, but don't really plan on doing any serious wheeling with this rig, but still, to know that the diff lock option is on the truck, and not hooked up is just killing me.

You can get a stock 04 Shifter

2004 Discovery II Transfer Case Shifter

You can get a DI shifter

Land Rover Discovery LT 230 Diff Lock Shifter
Please see this thread for more info on a DI to DII swap
http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/f40/cdl-32441/

You can get this kit from lucky8llc that seems to be a well made adaptation to work like a stock 04 Shifter

Lucky 8 Products

and finally the electric solenoid actuator

Series II Diff Lock

Disco Mike and I have this as well as some others. It basically is a switch controlled window motor anchored and secured to a custom base that fits over the nipple.

I don't think any one is better than the other. If you are traveling through the middle of Africa for months and don't have a spare relay or window motor than maybe the AMV solenoid will be another thing to think about during the trip. Only issue I have heard has been a relay going bad.

·
Registered
79 Posts
the shifter

I am confused how is the shifter suppose to work and how do you know what type you have I have 2000 disco the shifter to me looks as if it is to go up and down is suppose to go sideways to? according to the picture diagram that is on the console?

·
Registered
79 Posts
so can you be more specific I have the sticker in front of it I moved it today and it goes to the middle if Im moving it forward and backward the middle is as far as it will travel I looked at the plate under it and it appears on to go forward and backward is this the case?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
It should have 3 positions front to back. The furthest forward is Low range. The middle is neutral and the furthest back is High range. If you try to move it side to side, it won't move.

If you have a CDL in your truck (since its an'00, you probably have one) and want to actuate it, you can use a shifter out of a D1 or out of an 04 D2 (which is very similar to Ashcroft's linkage that Lucky8 sells) or an electric actuator. The 04 linkage uses a cable to actuate the CDL. The D1 linkage is actually a linkage, not cable.

You move the handle side to side to actuate the CDL. To the left is CDL locked/on. To the right is CDL unlocked/off.

Your shifter is centered side to side, you can't actuate the CDL but have one.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
if your shifter looks like this in its normal position then you can't move it side ways to lock the t-case.

But you may have the CDL guts inside your t-case so you only need to add the shifter

if so, you can crawl under your truck and turn the "nipple" in the direction shown with a 12mm wrench.

If you dont have the nipple, (like me) you have to add the "guts"

1 - 20 of 46 Posts