Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a 2004 Disco and the other day me and a buddy went out to play and when I went to lock the CDL and the shifter would not shift left. No matter what I did it wouldn't budge. It moves fine from high to low with it unlocked. Ive looked up under at the transfercase linkage and it doesn't look corroded or stuck. Ive looked up all over forums but cant find anything but switching older discos to CDL or installing new levers. Help please! I had to have my buddy winch me out with his little jeep and I'm hearing about it everyday. :drink1:

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Best is to pull the console.
Likely not the link into the trans. Likely the shifter itself
There a few links on how to go about un seizing and freeing it up.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Removing the console is a PITA. Most likely the PO never engaged the CDL and it's stuck. I would spray some penetrating fluid up there and keep trying. Also, have someone try it while your underneath to see if the linkage is trying to engage it. But, in the end, you may have to remove the console.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes - removing the console is a pita. It is also riveted in. I am not good with rivets so I use 2 zip ties for each rivet instead.
The linkage is very close to the front driveshaft. I have a 2004 and happen to remove the shaft last night. It may be easier for you than the console route if you have the 9/16in tool. Getting a torque wrench under there is a challenge. And you should really get new lock nuts. Here is a pic with the shaft removed and the linkage on the lower right. I have more if it is not clear.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Not sure but I think 2004 used a cable shift for the c.d.l. Which is different than the older setup.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you can find a carwash place with a power wash wand that is flexible, and you are prepared to get drenched in the process underneath your vehicle, give the linkage area a good blast of water.

I have found that dried up mud and crud have caused my linkage to sieze up. So whilst I could shift from High to Low, I couldn't engage or disengage the CDL. A blast of water freed up the caked on mud and all was good again. Simple fix, at least it was for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.