Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did the classics ever have that option? can i do a bolt on to my current set up? what problems might it cause with the visc. coup.? that would help out on the trails!

· Premium Member
3,190 Posts
The US Range Rovers had the LT230 Tranfer Case in 1987 and 88. That was the only time you could get a manual locking differential. In 1989, with the increase in engine displacement from 3.5L to 3.9L the differential was changed to the Borg Warner viscous coupled locking differential. You cannot add a cdl to the BW but you could swap out the BW for an LT230 if you really wanted to. All Series I Discoverys and Defenders had similar LT230's as well.

Just as an aside, I have 1 grey market 1985 Range Rover with an LT77 5 speed transmission and the LT230 transfer case. I recently installed a 4.0L out of my Discovery and coupled with some hot rodding and a great Edelbrock 4 barrel carb they thing flies!

If you wanted to, you could probably get an R380 5 speed and swap it into your Range Rover if you really wanted. Just about anything is possible with these trucks if you have the know how or are willing to spend the cash!

· Registered
388 Posts
Badger1 said:
Funrover you can find any LT230 Tcase from a D1 or 87-88RRC and swap out for the viscous unit. Between my 89 with the viscous tcase and my D1, I think there is quite a bit of difference between the two and the CDL is much better IMO.
Ive done this to my 95 RRC. I used a 95 D1 Lt230. You'll also need the entire D1 shifter, rear transfer case mount, and a D1 front drive shaft. If you do this on a 94 and below, there might be issues with the parking brake assembly (the 95 RRC already has the D1 style brake drum, so its no problem). Otherwise it bolts in :D

· Forward!
2,319 Posts
sven said:
Ive done this to my 95 RRC. I used a 95 D1 Lt230. You'll also need the entire D1 shifter, rear transfer case mount, and a D1 front drive shaft. If you do this on a 94 and below, there might be issues with the parking brake assembly (the 95 RRC already has the D1 style brake drum, so its no problem). Otherwise it bolts in :D

All RRC's have that hand brake drum right behind the tcase! :drink1:

· Registered
388 Posts
Badger1 said:
All RRC's have that hand brake drum right behind the tcase! :drink1:
Right.....But 95's are the same as a Disco1 (the older RRC's use a different style of parking brake linkage) So if you reuse the parking brake assembly from a 94 and lower RRC, you have to fab up a bracket for the parking brake linkage to make it work. Not exactly hard, but not exactly bolt-on.

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sven said:
Right.....But 95's are the same as a Disco1 (the older RRC's use a different style of parking brake linkage) So if you reuse the parking brake assembly from a 94 and lower RRC, you have to fab up a bracket for the parking brake linkage to make it work. Not exactly hard, but not exactly bolt-on.
Thanks for the info... never knew that about the linkage

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.