Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know where I can get a good condition center console wood trim peice for 95 RR Classic?

Mine is faded, lifted and cracked. I checked with Car Cannibal, British Car Services, DAP and no luck unless I buy from dealer new for $500.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
93 LWB KITTED 95 LWB Chop Top 03 D2
213 Posts
You know I had an idea about that

Seeing how its so expensive to replace/repair these things. I was thinking about doing what the Audi guys do. They by carbon fiber weave from guys on ebay, and then cover thier trim with it. You place it on there cut it out and then add resin... after a couple of coats of resin you have that factory fresh racing look. Now dont' get me wrong, I think it would look strange in a Rover too, but it would also look very different, and since the dash is dark grey anyway there would not be a color clash... Anyway thats my thoughts on it..

·
Registered
490 Posts
There's Atlantic British located in Clifton Park NY. Sometimes their prices can be high, but cheaper than dealer typically. I have used them before. I know what you're saying about the wood piece--Before we bought the 4.0 we tried out several 95 LWB's with the same problems as yours with that piece of wood.
The 4.0 we bought has wood that seems perfect--it is because its just plastic veneer. The Range Rover Classic actually has "real" wood. Virtually no new car makers use "real" wood anymore. There's also Rovers North in Vermont, and British Pacific on the west coast. Good Luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ebay

They are sporadically there, usually go for just over $100.

If just the veneer is cracked, you could sand down the piece, and reapply the veneer.

Gordon

·
Registered
119 Posts
wood trim

All the trim in my 92 was cracked and fading. I tried to remove the old veneer and replace, one word "nightmare" First the old veneer is hard to remove . When you finally get it off the new veneer is hard to form to the compound curves on the edges. After spending a week on one piece from the rear door, I went the carbon fiber route. Just put it right over the old stuff, after sanding it slightly. two coats of clear resin and it looked like a factory job. I found the carbon fiber on ebay, lots of different weaves and looks on there. I used a 4X2 weave.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Check the For Sale section, there are lots of folks parting out RRs..

·
Registered
79 Posts
There are also a variety of interior trim kits on eBay, and some of them are pretty damn good. A friend of mine had an old '78 Mercedes with wood trim that was way over the hill, and he bought a kit for like $125 that covered every piece in the car. They apply with 3M adhesive tape, and if you are careful you really can't tell they are stuck on pieces, and to be honest they looked just about as good as real wood, in fact I could not even tell unless I REALLY examined the things.

-Coach

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
95 rare spicies for timr piece

I have checked ebay and any other dash trim places, and result isnot good.
They do have tons of timr pieces for up to 94, but 95 is different. I thought 97 discovery trim will fit but NO.
I might have to take it out and re-finish myself.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Be vewy vewy careful! :D It can come off easy if you take your time - do not pry too hard.

The wood is appox. 1/4" thick, using a rotary or belt sander (quicker but rougher) I sanded all the veneer off then restained as close to original as possible and reaplied a new coating (3 actually) of marine grade spar varnish. The result is actually awesome. The only problem now is that it is a diff color than the rest of the wood. Oh well more work!
:drive:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Missed this thread initially, I will definately be doing the CF route now on my '90 County. I really don't care for the Burl wood anyways.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got the used but great shape wood piece

I got the wood peice from salvage yard. Not Cheap!! $150!!
Anyway, it is in much better shape than mine with no lifting, warping and big cracks. Minor hairline cracks by window switch but I can live with that.
Now I am going to refinish mine and if it turns out better than what I have, I will replace back and sell the ones I got. Anybody interested?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Refinish of Console wood

I am in Australia. Have same problem with this part in 95 "Soft dash" Classic. I saw somewhere a guy called Joe Mendina (have misplaced his details) in the USA, and he refinishes these R/Rover console (and I guess other wood pcs.) to PERFECTION. I will try to locate his e'mail address and post it here. Prices were fair from memory.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.