Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I recently bought a 1988 Classic which had, at one point, an aftermarket keyless alarm system. This system has been removed by unplugging the alarm module. Everything works as it should save the central locking (and the sunroof, but that's for later and possibly unrelated to the alarm).

When I opened the driver's door I found an actuator which is different not only in form but also in brand than the others in the other doors. The actuator in the driver's door has a total of five (5) wires going to it, two for the actual powering of the little motor and three to control the system. These (3) wires had been cut. Of the three wires in the door (which have different color coding) one is hot. No matter how I interconnect these three I always get a short. I do have a wiring diagram for the '88 and this one shows only two control wires :confused .

Is my suspicion correct that the actuator has been changed and is not the correct type for this car, BUT if so, how do I have to wire it as, even if I use only two control wires I cannot find a correct way of connecting it :eek: . When I power the motor wires the central locking in the rest of the car locks/unlocks depending on the polarity.

My sunroof is something else as it intermittently stops working, it does not seem to be that little gizmo which is supposed to stop it when open, up or down. It more seems like that the feed is sometimes suspended, I still have to investigate and measure if and when and where I get "juice"

Thanks for your help

Andre :sn10:

· 94 Defender 90
1,004 Posts
I assume this was an aftermarket keyless entry system? I don't think they started putting keyless entry systems in from the factory until 1992. It might be worth returning everything back to genuine, unless you want to keep the keyless entry.

Beautiful classic btw. You need to post some real pictures of that beauty!

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks nfor your reply, indeed, it was an aftermarket alarm system with keyless entry. The alarm is gone so is the keyless entry feature and I do not particularly want it back. I DO want it back to original but there the wires present baffle me, hence the question.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
94LWB said:
It sounds like a reverse polarity actuator. Follow this link http://www.commandocaralarms.com/reversepolaritylocks.asp and see if it looks like a solution to your problem.

Hope this is the fix, or atleast gives you some ideas.

Ron
Hi Ron, Thanks for the info, I will check this out as it could be a solution.

I will keep you informed

Andre

· 94 Defender 90
1,004 Posts
andreH said:
Thanks nfor your reply, indeed, it was an aftermarket alarm system with keyless entry. The alarm is gone so is the keyless entry feature and I do not particularly want it back. I DO want it back to original but there the wires present baffle me, hence the question.
my mistake, I thought the keyless entry remained.

you still need to post pictures! :)

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cellulararrest said:
my mistake, I thought the keyless entry remained.

you still need to post pictures! :)
No harm, I was not too clear, I updated my post accordingly. I will keep you posted AND I will post the pictures as soon as I get roundtoit (I had a wooden rountoit but somehow misplaced it :lol: )

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

94LWB said:
It sounds like a reverse polarity actuator. Follow this link http://www.commandocaralarms.com/reversepolaritylocks.asp and see if it looks like a solution to your problem.

Hope this is the fix, or atleast gives you some ideas.

Ron
Hi Ron,

Unfortunately this does not work, why? Because my actuator actually switches and keeps it on. With the polarity changing setup this means that one of the relays would always be powered, which in itself is not toooo bad but the actuator motors would also be under tension all the time with dire results.

So, back to square one . . .

Thanks anyway and looking forward to more suggestions.

By the way, more pictures of my "baby" in the Show Off section

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.