Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a 1998 LR Disco 1 4.0 engine , trying to change out the 4 O2 sensors. I can only locate the plug in point for the front left side. Where are the others plugged in and how do you get to them? Should I unscrew the sevsors first , will that give me more slack in the wires?

·
Registered
72 Posts
remover the coil pack. there 2 nuts 2 bolts holding it down unplug the coil pack and the 8 spark plug wires(mark if you dont know your firing order). that allows easy access to the front o2 wires the rear ones are ontop of the transfer case. firing order drivers side front to back 1,3,5,7 passengers front to back 2,4,6,8. i believe the rear o2 sensors were easier if ya clip the zip ties holding them in place then re zip em when done. hope this helps

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Changing O2 sensors in 1998 Disco1

Thanks for the info, I wish I had asked earlier today. Spent four hours trying to push the button on the first plug with one hand. Didn't work and it is hot here in CA. High frustration level. I'll try again in the morning and let you know the outcome.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
removing O2 sensors from 98 Disco 1

Ok, so I located all of the plug in points for the O2 sensors, but how do you get them apart? The first one I push the clip lock on both sides of the plug, would not come apart. So, I broke the clip lock off. still would not come apart. Only after breaking the entire pin connector on the O2 sensor side did it release. Is there some kind of a tool used to unlock the clip while you slide the connector apart. I could continue to break the plug end but, I'm afraid I might break the other side, then I will be in trouble. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5 Posts
These things are goofy..........

The lock side of the clip is on the o2 sensor, and is also the part that has the mounting snaps... When I was pulling mine it was a royal pain, almost as bad as re-connecting them when I was done :)

Locations are :

2 on the top of the bellhousing (one for each side)
1 each on either side of the transfer case

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Changing O2 sensors in 1998 Disco1

Wel,l I finally did get the sensors unplugged and installed new ones from R,North. The Disco now runs like new. All of the misfiring disappeared and of course the irritating check engine light is off. I did have to use my OBD 2 scanner to reset the codes. Thanks everybody for the help, with the Forum a person dos not feel out there and alone with an unsolvable mechanical problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts