Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disco 2 2001
So my charge light is on. I checked the voltage at the battery 12.5 v
So took out the alternator and had it load tested its putting out 14.5v with lots of amps ,altinator repair shop says its good.
My inside light has also be staying on so pulled the bulb out.
Cables look clean.
Battery is strong.
What am i missing?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,498 Posts
Disco 2 2001
So my charge light is on. I checked the voltage at the battery 12.5 v
So took out the alternator and had it load tested its putting out 14.5v with lots of amps ,altinator repair shop says its good.
My inside light has also be staying on so pulled the bulb out.
Cables look clean.
Battery is strong.
What am i missing?
You missed to say if that 12.5 voltage on the battery was with engine running or not cos that's the only relevant thing, so if it was with engine running we'll speak again , if you didnt measure voltage with engine running but removed the alternator just like that i can't say much

as about the interior light, did you watch it and stood on more than 10 minutes or it just didnt fade out as usual then you removed the bulb?.... i presume that you checked the switch to not be accidentally swithed to ON cos if it was something with the circuit all the interior lights should have been on cos they are in parallel on the same feed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So yes i found that i was only getting 12.5 at the battery with the engine running at idle.
The battery is at 12.5v with the engine off.

What is the purpose of the small wire to the altinator?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,148 Posts
Sounds like a bad alternator.
Small wire energizes the alternator to make it charge (output on the large wire /cable
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,498 Posts
So yes i found that i was only getting 12.5 at the battery with the engine running at idle.
The battery is at 12.5v with the engine off.

What is the purpose of the small wire to the altinator?
The thin wire(brown/yellow) is the earth path for the warning lamp, the lamp has feed on the other side and when the alternator is not charging the lamp is on and when the voltage on that thin wire is rising the lamp goes out as it gets feed from both sides... the alternator is three-phase is with self excitation.

so check continuity on fusible link FL1 in engine bay fusebox which is on the alternator's output to not be shot cos that would not let the charging to reach the battery also unplug that thin wire and give it 12v with a wire(ignition on II) and if the warning goes out then IMO you need another alternator cos even if your's has power output on the bench it might not energise that thin wire.

here's the full description and the relevant part of the diagram is attached
 

Attachments

·
Living it...
Joined
·
16 Posts
Hi guys -
I had a similar problem in my Series IIA, and in my case, besides installing a new alternator, I figured out that the alternator warning light in the metal dash was grounded - to the dash - so lit up all the time.

Here's how I figured it out. I unplugged the warning light wire from my alternator. With ignition on, my light was still lit. So I realized it had nothing at all to do with the alternator. The bulb had to be somehow grounded to light up.

Installed a better insulated bulb housing, and now works perfectly - light goes out after start up with a reassuring flicker beforehand.

Maybe a different problem than yours, but you may want to make sure the bulb is not grounded itself, making the alternator wire feed to it useless on account of the bulb already being grounded regardless of the alternator 12v feed wire.

Have a great day!
Mike
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,498 Posts
Maybe a different problem than yours, but you may want to make sure the bulb is not grounded itself, making the alternator wire feed to it useless on account of the bulb already being grounded regardless of the alternator 12v feed wire.
You have a good point but the D2's warning lamps are SMD LEDs soldered into the PCB so quite unlikely, eventually it can be a short to earth on the wire between the IP and alternator which is possible... though it seems that the OP just butted in to ask for help then keep ignoring us... i think i'll quit answering to newbees who dont have the decency to reply with a result of the fix what ever it was.... :frown schmucks
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top