Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought my land rover in the middle winter and was unable to determine if the A/C worked. now that it's warmer, i'm pretty sure that it isn't. I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for charging the system, or if there are other troubleshooting procedures i should do first. -jesse

· Registered
72 Posts
A quick check is to switch on the air con and fan then check that the clutch on the front of the comressor has pulled in (it should click in and drop out when you switch the a/c on and off). If the clutch pulls in and drives the comressor then check at the front (right)of the vehicle in the pipe going to the condensor radiator, there is a sight glass clean it and check that it is clear, if tiny bubbles are flowing through it there is air in the sytem and it will require a top up charge. If the compressor clutch is not engaging there is three possibilities 1. it has lost all the gas and will not start due to low pressure (requires locating and fixing leak and complete vac and recharge 2. there is a fault with the compressor clutch( check by disconnecting the connector at the clutch and run a jump wire to the battery positive terminal when you touch the two together the clutch should pull in if it doesn't the clutch has a problem) 3. there is an electrical problem in the control cct get it checked. :drink1:

· Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went to the local napa auto parts store and got the refrigerant and an adapter to hook up to the A/C system. Then you just hook it up to the low pressure service port. (by the ABS brake system in the engine compartment, you'll see two ports, the bottom one is the low pressure port) Start the engine turn the AC on full blast and let it fill up. It helps to put the referigerant canister in a bucket of warm water to keep the pressure up in the can. It took about 5 minutes. It was about 30 dollars for the adapter and canister.

· Registered
72 Posts
Most auto air conditioner repair places will do a gas top up for around $70 this just replaces lost gas from minor leakage over time . If you have lost all your gas and the system needs vacuuming you will be probably up for $130 + repairs to find and stop the leak . These prices are in Perth, Western Australia :drink1:.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.