Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Charging System

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  gdom88 
#1 ·
2000 Disco II, the battery light on the dash just started coming on, and staying on when first starting the vehicle in cold environment (0 or -0 degrees Celsius) Stays on about 1 mintue before going out. I discovered today, that if driving for several km, the light comes back on and stays on for most of the time, then goes off for a little bit, and then back on. When the light is on, the Alt is not charging (i.e. 11.87 V). When the light goes off, the Alt is charging fine (14.+ volts)

Is this an alternator starting to go bad, or is there a relay or fuse starting to go bad? Relays usually go all at once, I think, but any ideas would be appreciated. I don't understand the on again off again behavior of the system.

#2 ·
I would bet on it being the alternator when it is in the illuminated state you are running of the battery so all the power requires to run is coming from there, using this piece of information if the light is on more than it is off then it is only a matter of time before you run the battery flat. Sorry for the bad news.
Adam

#3 ·
I agree with Adam, but I would also suggest you check two things, the fluid level in your battery and the belt. Low fluid especially in cold weather could be killing your battery and if the belt is old and slipping it will slip and not the the alternator as it should.
Best thing to do would be to do a draw test on your charging system and verify what is wrong.
Mike J.

#4 ·
I've checked the belt, it is good and tight. I have an alt. being shipped tomorrow. $250.00 Ouch! The battery finally had enough today, and gave up, but I had 180 miles put on it to get me home. I'll let you all know the results after putting the alt. on. Hope it fixes it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.