Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. I searched all over DiscoWeb about this and I am still a little foggy on what rear springs I need to accomplish this.

For those who don't know, you can take your rear springs and move them forward, then replace the rears with OME HD's that will give you a 2" lift all the way around. What I do not know is what the part number is and if anyone here has done this. I am curious how the ride is and if the lift is level all the way around, or if the vehicle will have a raked look to it (which is not what I am looking for). I am also concerned about the vehicle being able to fit in my garage..

Sorry for the ignorance, and I look forward to all replies.

Ryan

·
Banned
527 Posts
02disco2 said:
For those who don't know, you can take your rear springs and move them forward, then replace the rears with OME HD's that will give you a 2" lift all the way around.
Durned SLS. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PCrover said:
Yes, it has been done. Here a picture of an '04 with the stock rear in the front, and Rovertyme RR3-2 springs in the rear. OME 781's or 762's for the rear would be very similar.

Thanks!

Did you ever read or hear about any feedback on how it drove and handled after the installation? Also, do you know the difference between the (2) OME part numbers? How does the OME springs compare to the Rovertyme's?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get my ducks in a row.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
If I had to pick between the OME and RTE I would definately go with the RTE. I did not like the ride of the OMEs.

Now most people swear by the OMEs but the truth is they never had the chance to try anything else.

Just my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How close of a match are the RTE's to the stockers? I don't want the front to be soft and the rear to be stiffer than a 15 year old in a whore house.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's not my Rover, but I know the guy who owns it. He hangs out Here.

If you want a soft "factory" ride, just put in some 2" spacers under the springs. You get lift and keep the cush ride.

Using the stock rear springs (stiffer than the front) in the front seems to match the new stiffer RTE rears. The guys been driving it for a while and has no complaints that I know of.

If you go OME in the rear, I would go with the 781's as they are softer than the 762's.

I agree that the OME's offer a stiff ride if unloaded. Put a heavy load in the truck and they ride real nice as they were designed to do.

·
Registered
709 Posts
So if I have airbags in the back will a wedge do for a lift? I know the spacers could be used in the front with the springs.

Thanks on the headlamps, the 04' tail lamps just came in today, so i'll be changing those soon :D Just need to find out if the wiring is different?

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
02disco2 said:
How close of a match are the RTE's to the stockers? I don't want the front to be soft and the rear to be stiffer than a 15 year old in a whore house.
The shock choice will have more to do w/ this than springs. OME is a very 'soft' suspension & will be like the stock ride.

·
Registered
709 Posts
PCrover said:
I think you can use spacers on the bas too. No?
HFsdisco was looking into doing a 1"-2" lift so we were discussing it. He contaced a couple of places to ask about their products and both said that if you have rear airbags you don't need the spacers that you can use a metal wedge to adjust the height?

I just wanted to find out if anyone had done this before and how good it is?

·
SCUBA Instructor
81 Posts
D1?

Anyone know if this will work for a cheap bastard with a D1? 98 to be exact.

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
SCSL .02:

Don't be penny-wise & pound-foolish. If you are going to take your Disco off-road, save up & get real suspension (I don't mean that in a prickish way). You will be happier w/ the performance.

PS: PcRover-- that's just my opinion, I suppose it's a matter of feel, in comparison to other off-road shocks on LRs & Heeps. I don't have the part # but the HD OMEs I had were, IMO, soft. Maybe a better way of saying it is that OME will be closer to stock feel than other aftermarket shocks.

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SCSL said:
SCSL .02:

Don't be penny-wise & pound-foolish. If you are going to take your Disco off-road, save up & get real suspension (I don't mean that in a prickish way). You will be happier w/ the performance.

I hope that wasn't intended at me, as I was simply inquiring about CB lift option. I assumed it was a real lift seeing that it is accomplished with the coils, not spacers. But again, I am really not too sure of the differences between the OEM rears and the OME fronts (if that makes any sense).

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
No my friend, not intended 'at' anybody. :D Like I said, I didn't mean that in a negative way,,,it's always tough w/ email because it's easy to mis-read tone into the note.

All I was saying is, in my understanding of this lift, one may be better off, in terms of utility, with a full-on lift kit. This, as opposed to having different springs front/rear. Then there's the shock issue. This is probably a decent cosmetic option for lift. I just know that in the long run, assuming off-roading, people tend to need upgraded suspension beyond the utility of this lift option, or of spacers. :drink1:

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No worries at all, I did read somewhere that the actual shock length doesn't vary from the OEM to an aftermarket when you are doing a 2". Is there any truth to this?

I should mention, one of the main factors I am looking at doing this (besides the very occasional trail run) is when I have my dogs loaded up in the back (230lb collectively)and I am pulling my boat, it squats like no other. I figured a set of HD springs in the rear should help the sag factor and instead of cruising around like a 1970 El camino (super raked) that I would lift up the front as well. Thought it would be easier and less expensive than adding airbags or ditching the vehicle all together to get a more suitable ride.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.