Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Service Engine light has been on since the exhaust was dropped to install a new transfer case last winter. I assume the O2 sensor(s) was disturbed . The rover runs fine. So last night after the oil change I dumped into the gas tank a bottle of Prestone Fuel injector cleaner. Now the Check Engine light is also on. The owners manuel says that the CE light is a fuel injector problem or an emmision problem. Did the injector cleaner cause the problem? Coincidence? Will the CE light go out if the problem cleans it self?(yea right)Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
O2 sensors are on the exhaust so you probably guessed correctly on that. They are easy to find and if you remove them put some thread lube on them when you put them back so they will be easy to remove later. It's copper colored stuff you can get it anywhere. It's also called anit-seize.

What is the code you are getting? Also remember one code can lead to other codes.

The Service Engine light is an odometer thing/service interval thing. You can manually reset that. Mine is located under the passenger seat and all you do is put a paper clip in there and short the leads that resets the light.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My records show Check Engine Light (1988-1992) "merely a reminder" every 52,000 miles. Reset it with paper clip. Small Brown 1x2" box labeled "Emission Reminder". Small hole under label. On 1988 models box under lower dash. 1989 and later under passenger seat along with relays behind the EFI ECU.

I remember resetting in once.

Some other light requires battery disconnect, don't recall which.

Vehicle: 1991 RR 169K miles

·
Registered
95 Posts
Let me see if I can get this straight. Reading my owners manual CHECK ENGINE light indicates a "malfuntion". See Codes below.

SERVICE ENGINE lights when a emissions-related service is due

My apologies; my comment above relates to SERVICE ENGINE. The document in my file from previous research was incorrectly marked by author. (I was also working on Service Engine Soon on my 1997 Tahoe which is emissions related.)

THe CHECK ENGINE light went on once and a battery disconnect cleared it.

<<Codes can be read from the ECU with the proper tool (depends upon year, I think my 1991 RR requires factory reader and some later models may have LED readout under passenger seat. 1996 and after "in U.S." must be ODBII compliant although manufacture can put additional codes beyond min. required by ODB standard.>>

See http://www.roversnorth.com/RR_EFIfault.pdf but I don't know model year on this info.

·
Registered
62 Posts
glenncof said:
Let me see if I can get this straight. Reading my owners manual CHECK ENGINE light indicates a "malfuntion". See Codes below.

SERVICE ENGINE lights when a emissions-related service is due

My apologies; my comment above relates to SERVICE ENGINE. The document in my file from previous research was incorrectly marked by author. (I was also working on Service Engine Soon on my 1997 Tahoe which is emissions related.)

THe CHECK ENGINE light went on once and a battery disconnect cleared it.

<<Codes can be read from the ECU with the proper tool (depends upon year, I think my 1991 RR requires factory reader and some later models may have LED readout under passenger seat. 1996 and after "in U.S." must be ODBII compliant although manufacture can put additional codes beyond min. required by ODB standard.>>

See http://www.roversnorth.com/RR_EFIfault.pdf but I don't know model year on this info.

Eh?

My '88 has an EFI light(in Binnacle) and a Check engine light (down near the Dome Light button)...when the Check Engine light comes on (every 52K) you reset it via the paper clip method....

·
Registered
1 Posts
i cannot for the life of me figure out how to post a new topic, I am trying to find out how to get my tc light off but can't find a link to post a new reply and there is no way to search for that incase somebody else has already asked. please help.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
post in the introductions new member stuff and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
136 Posts
the service engine reminder can be reset easily. its a brown box under the passeners seat it has a reset button slightly recessed. i would just unhook your negative battery cable for a few seconds to reset the check engine, and see if it pops back up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.