Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys....I have a 2001 Land Rover Discovery II with 90,000 miles on it. I bought it a few months back and replaced the head gasket, oil pan gasket and all fluids have been replaced.

The problem I am noticing is a check engine light that comes on so I am trying to trouble shoot to figure out what the heck it can be. The code is reading P0301 (misfire in cylinder 1). I wanted to rule out the plug and wires so first moved the spark plug from 1 to 5 and still came back with 301 code after resetting it (code came on a day after the reset), then I switched the wires from 1 to 6 and still came back with a 301 code (same as with the plug a code came back a day after the reset).

So here is where I am at now...after switching the wires 1 and 6 the check engine turned back on (code was P0301), but as of yesterday the check engine light has turned off....I haven't seen it come back on and not sure when it will come back on.

Any of you experience this before?

Other things I am noticing is: 1) when cold a little harder to start, but starts up seems to turn over 1 or 2 extra times. 2) on idle little rough at times, but nothing crazy with the shakes but just a little shake here and there, this is only when the light was one so i can almost feel a little of the misfire going on. when the light is off i don't feel anything

Any input would be appreciated....this is driving me crazy cause I don't know if I should just replace all plugs and wires?? is it fuel injector, coil, 02 sensor, cam etc..

Happy New Year to everyone in the forum...take care

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Sounds like a fouled plug and or a bad ignition wire set. Replace plugs and a good set of 8mm or bigger wires

·
Returning Rover
123 Posts
Although not my Rover, my wife's Mazda CX7 was throwing the same misfire code before & after replacing the spark plugs. My next step was going after the coils/wires, but because the intercooler had to be removed to complete the work and a couple of oil leaks we wanted to address, I took it to the dealer. The dealer said the misfire code was due to the fuel injectors, not the plugs or coils/wires. I can't confirm because we ended buying my wife something new. Her CX7 had 137,000 miles and I couldn't justify the expense.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.