Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
JA-NH, what model and year are we speaking about? On the 95 D1 it's under the passenger glove box area, remove the cardboard cover above the foot well. There is a square, white plugin socket. Pre 96 you had a fault code print out under the front passenger seat, read, fix and clear, easy. 96 on with OBD-2 your at the dealer (stealers) for fault reading, repair ($$$) and clear. Carl....
...........................................................................................o&o>.......

·
Registered
35 Posts
JA-NH, go to www.lrfaq.org/Disco/FAQ.Disco.Engines.FaultCodes.html. They can explain better than i on reading fault codes, clearing codes. Remove the cardboard cover under the glove box.There is a white socket 3 pin connection under the passenger glove box on the right side. After locating the plug follow fault codes and clearing the display. Hope this helps, Carl.............o&o>.........

·
Registered
321 Posts
to clarify, is it the check engine or service engine?
if it's the check engine:
Under passenger seat
To Clear Faults...
1) Switch Ignition ON -- Do Not Start Engine.
2) Disconnect Serial Link plug, wait 5+ seconds.
3) Re-connect Serial Link plug.
4) Switch OFF Ignition, wait for main relay to drop out (click).
5) Switch Ignition ON and check display unit for further codes to appear. Clear each as above.
if it's the service engine then it's the one that's by the glove compartment
take care

·
Registered
35 Posts
Service engine reset, where?

Dent, some time ago i ran across a thread (can't find now) on where the unit is to clear the service engine light. They said that under the paper tag was two pins with a small space and if you installed a bare metal pin to short across the pins the service would reset. Question, where is this unit? Thanks, Carl..........................o&o>.........................

·
Registered
321 Posts
Carl, to reset the service engine you need to remove the side kick panel on the passenger side. you'll see emission maintenance thingie which is the red box type thing. lift upward and remove the box.. there's going to be a landrover sticker on it.. with a paperclip spread out, either poke through the sticker and reset or take the sticker off and reset with the pin/ paperclip.
that should be it.. if you have any further questions, let me know and will take mine apart and take a picture of it...
Hopefully Serg will make a 'How to' section for us DIYers database type thingie...
take care
sam

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its the check engine - not service engine

I need a code reader? I'm getting mixed input here. I thought it was the "unbent paper clip poke" thing, but that IS service engine, now that I remember from another site. So - for CHECK ENGINE - I unplug something under the dash cardboard and replug it (passenger side)?
-JA in NH

·
Registered
321 Posts
Ja, if your check engine light is on, you really should find the code and fix the problem before you just reset the check engine light... if you check under the passenger seat you should see a black box and on that black box is a read of of the codes your ECM spat out because there's something wrong with your truck. (all assuming it's a 95 or earlier) if there's number on the read out tell us what the numbers are and will help diag the problem.
If it's 96 or newer you'll not have a box black there, in which case you need to have your car hooked up to a ODBII reader.
To reset the the check engine light... follow the steps i've out lined but i can't stress, just resetting it will not fix the problem and the lights will prolly come back on... fix it then reset it.
sam

·
Registered
35 Posts
Service engine light

dent, thanks for the info i'll have to do a reset. By the way whats your day job? My background was a aircraft mechanic so it's been "almost" a fun challange to run, (keep) a Rover running. I still have not found where the ABS pump, ABS light and power wash relays are located. They aren't where the dealer parts catalogue shows, i have a set of them plus a workshop manual. The swing down mount(passenger footwell) has 5 relays, next to them should have 3 more, they are not to be found. Sorry, this is on a 95 Disco 5-speed USA model. Thanks again dent, Carl.....................o&o>........................

·
Registered
35 Posts
Digital code readout OBD phase 1

JA-NH, sorry i keep running away from your question, the code box is under the passenger seat in the middle on the floor. It's black about the size of a pack of smokes with red numbers (bad thing) for fault or faults as you must clear each one if more than one fault has come up. Go to this address it will help, www.lrfaq.org/Disco/FAQ.Disco.FaultCodes.html
Good hunting, Carl..............o&o>.......................

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check Engine light

It is actually the Check Engine light that's on. I cleaned the stepper motor(the end of it was covered with carbon) A'm I looking in the right place at the code under the passanges seat. It reads code 48?

·
Registered
321 Posts
mossrock98 said:
Where is the serial link mating plug?
it's the cable that connects to the box under the seat...
yes you're looking at the right spot if it read 48. After you've cleaned the idle valve, reset the codes following the directions above and keep your fingers crossed that there are not any more codes...
take care
sam

·
Registered
2 Posts
Service engine reset, where?

Dent, some time ago i ran across a thread (can't find now) on where the unit is to clear the service engine light. They said that under the paper tag was two pins with a small space and if you installed a bare metal pin to short across the pins the service would reset. Question, where is this unit? Thanks, Carl..........................o&o>.........................
Anyone have a picture of what I'm looking for?? Need to reset codes in 1998 Disco anniversary addition
. Check engine light on. I replaced all 4 O2 sensors. I have code reader but it's not fancy and doesn't clear the codes. I went to AutoZone but they seem to be clueless.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.