Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to check fault codes (my Check Engine light is on) without taking it to a shop??? I thought there was, but I am not sure as to how...

Serg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Assuming you're talking about the '97:

I bought a small code reader called a Pocket Scan at Auto Zone for about $80. All it does is read and clear the codes. Then I go to this website:

http://www.iequus.com/obd_def.asp

to find out what the code means. It doesn't tell you much, so the next step is to post the results here or on D-web (or both) and somebody should be able to tell you how to address the issue.

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys,

I have a store near me where the guys are really cool and always lend a hand (independent parts store)... I think they sell the readers as well... Will have to go buy one, they are only $80US I believe...

Serg

·
Registered
523 Posts
I had a '92 Chrysler Imperial(I sold it to get the Disco, great car to cruise around on the highway, should have kept it too in addition to the Disco :( ),that all I needed to do in order to pull the codes is turn the ignition key on and off around five times and then look for how many fast blinkings I got on the orange check engine light after doing that, then by counting the number of blinkings I could go over www.allpar.com and look it up to see what it was.
I doubt I can do that with the Disco though.
Carlos

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found it online for $69.95 at Kragen's (yech)... just picked it up... will report with the codes after I eat my dinner.. mmm sushi!! :D (spare me the bait jokes..)

Serg

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So here's another question.... I clened the connectors on the MAF and cleared the code. If there is still a problem, it should come back on right?

Serg

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Serg, will the reader you picked up actually turn the light off? A lot of them don't. If yours does not, come see me and save yourself the dealer charge. I will just charge you a brewskie! I am about 1 - 1/2 hours from you. :drink1:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I recently had my starter replaced (in 97 disco) as well as an exhaust stud by an independent import auto shop. After I drove away, my check engine light came on. I brought it right back and the tech plugged in his code reader device and it said unknown fault. He said he'd reset it, and if it came back on again, he'd try to figure it out, but he said it's nothing major. Well, it came on again, so I brought it to the dealer and explained and apologized about not getting the truck fixed ther but it had to be towed to the closest shop. Anyway, they used their code reader, and found that it was the oxygen sensor upstream passenger side. He said the auto shop didn't have updated codes. They said they charge $300 for the sensor, and $300 labor!

I took it back to the import auto shop, and they replaced it for $175 and ate the labor, as the dealers said that when they fixed the exhaust they probably knocked the sensor and broke it. In any case, the charge at the dealer would have been waaaaay more than what the auto shop was going to try to charge me. I guess oxygen sensors go out alot after so many miles. The dealer said if it's not repaired, the truck would use more gas, and could eventually ruin the catalytic converter. My check engine light has not come back on again.

One other thing, when both guys were trying to figure out why it was going on, they both checked my gas cap. If it's not screwed on right, it wold cause the engine light to go on. Take care, hope you get it fixed, Michele :)

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
O2 sensors will not throw a code until they are almost, if not, all the way gone. BUT...you will notice a HUGE drop in gas mileage before they throw a code. You can get OBDII O2 sensors for about 130 bucks if you shop around.

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
$130??? no way... go to Kragen, they have em for $69.99. That is where I got mine, and it does reset the codes as well.

Serg

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cskone said:
Where do you plug in the code reader in the '97?? I've been reading that it's under the passenger side kick panel. Is this correct??
Under driver side kick panel.. on the right hand side of the steering column. For US models at least..

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Serg is correct. Under the passenger panel is a little black box that shuts off the Service Engine Light. Which one is on - the Check Engine Light or the Service Engine Light?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.