Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so a lot of you know that I'm the youngest on the board and my dads giving me 10 months to make something of the 1996 disco. and that's not a lot of time with school and stuff that i have to do.
so my question is what should i have checked out, what do will need to be replaced, where can i find good used parts, and where can i get cheap parts? i don't want to make this a project or burden on the hole forum but i could use some help.
I don't know y but for some reason i like land rovers and there's something about it that makes me want to spent the time to fix the old truck.

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
First of all, whats specifically wrong with it?

I know disco I's have stuff like the radiator flushed, and the rotoflexes break down over time, though your probably good with that. If your rotoflex/s do give, id just buy some nice shiny tom woods driveshafts.

You can find parts at roversnorth.com, atlanticbritish.com, and expeditionexchange.com. Plus the sponsor pages above, at Red Rhino and Advanture Gear.

you can also find more help on threads and the tech sections at discoweb.org and expeditionexchange.com.

np with helping you if I can, thats one of the purposes of forums. Just try to search for stuff yourself as much as you can.

· Registered
5,468 Posts
Yeah, details man, details. Don't forget Nathan over at Discount Rovers. He has really good prices on little stuff, like O2 sensors that can be really expensive.

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well the key get stuck something in the ignition so i think that will need to be replaced, I'm thinking new suspension all around, new dash, rebuild engine or just replace the gaskets, all new filters, new fuel pump and that's about it. Am i on the right track.
i think i will start with cleaning it this weekend then work from there

· Registered
128 Posts
96owner said:
well the key get stuck something in the ignition so i think that will need to be replaced, I'm thinking new suspension all around, new dash, rebuild engine or just replace the gaskets, all new filters, new fuel pump and that's about it. Am i on the right track.

Man that seems like alot of stuff, are you sure you need it? what really are you working with overthere? take a pic, post it up! maybe alittle detail and we can help! after all I have the same truck as you.
Good luck,
Chris

· Registered
5,468 Posts
If it needs that much work, you might be better off buying someone else's rover that is being sold for 3 or 4 thousand. But then, if you are doing it for sentimental reasons or plan on keeping it for a very long time, go ahead and put in a new engine. But for 4K, you should be able to get a good used one with a few mods.

· Registered
138 Posts
It's not THAT bad . . . .

Put some graphite in that ignition lock, it should free up after a couple treatments. Filters are just maintenence items, you will have to take care of things like that no matter what you drive. Fuel pump is easy enough to change. Springs don't have to be done today, unless one is broken. Save up some $$$ and buy them when you are ready to change them (I recommend changing all 4 @ once). Buy a genuine repair manual and READ IT as needed to make repairs. Don't forget DAP inc, as they have great prices on some of the items you will need. I buy my parts from all of the above vendors, shopping for the best price from each one. Add mud, dirt, rocks, shake well & enjoy! Good Luck, LRWheelman

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
96owner said:
seems as though a lot of people change the gaskets/rebuild the engine at something like 120k-175k miles for disco I/II's. Like LRwheelman said, filters are basic maintenence stuff; get K&N everything. Fuel pump isnt that big of a deal, might be able to get one off of a junked disco for cheap; sacramento LR junkyard and others. Suspension, like LRwheelman said, probably doesnt have to be replaced right away. I suggset saving up about $800 and getting an OME/RTE setup. Everything is bolt in replacement and it should only take a few hours (took me 3.5 w/ two friends and his dad).

it really doesnt sound like that much to me. Engine rebuild will be the biggest, if you can do it yourself then id say change gaskets and cyl. rings, etc. and see where that brings you.....might be all it needs.

· Registered
138 Posts
And I forgot . . . .

There is also a dash repair kit available from most of the above vendors. Saves you alot of $$$ over replacement. The Discovery is a great vehicle, and the 96, like mine, is not that hard to work on. I prefer the "Series 1" Discovery myself for that reason. Again, Good Luck. LRWheelman

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
Change filters - great idea
Key sticking - use greaphite
What are the problems plaugeing your rig?

· Registered
295 Posts
keptin said:
Fuel pump isnt that big of a deal, might be able to get one off of a junked disco for cheap; sacramento LR junkyard and others.

If it's a 96, isn't that covered by the fuel tank recall? I'd call LRNA and see if it's still covered.

· Registered
295 Posts
oh, because I know of a couple of people that had the fuel pump replaced along with the tank, free of charge. But in that case, then yeah, I junkyard is the second best bet.

· I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
How messed up is the engine?
You could do a top end and not even pull it from the truck.
You pull off the top, have the valves done (mine cost 105$ total for a valve job at a race shop). Replace all the gaskets. That will make a huge difference. You can do the suspension stuff more than likely.

New dash? Maybe last. And I would go to a salvage for that. Rover Cannibal in OKC www.rovercannibal.com. If Ryan doesn't have it maybe he knows where to get it. There are others too.

Two words..E-BAY. IF you need stuff cheap that's a good place to look as well.

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
it has 185000 miles on it and thanks for all the help its going into the shop next week to get the ignition fixed. and i'm going to rebuild the top end and see what that dos. also replace all fluids and filters so it will last the winter. and thanks for the used parts site i will try to source parts through there

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.