Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for future reference, yesterday a bought a brand new snorkel for the D2 for 120$ from craigslist, but when I was getting the cash out of a drive through US bank ATM, I heard a knock, clunk-ish noise. Now this ATM is enclosed, so it intensifies the engine noises, I cant hear it in the open, but I know its going to need to be addressed soon. I don't know how to differentiate a hydraulic lifter noise or bearing noise, I'm leaking oil somewhere also, I see seepage from the head gasket, and I'm dripping oil on my driveway, just a single drop at rest, I'm not sure if its the rear main or from the rear part of the head gasket, or valley gasket, but I know these will all have to be done eventually. Can I pull the pan and do bearings from the bottom, when I do this do I have to pull the timing cover also? I honestly cant remember, and it its a hydraulic lifter should I do the head gasket while I have everything off? I'm at a loss, I'm sure both the bearings and lifters both have extensive wear after 130,000 miles and with the previous owners neglecting the truck. After Thursday I FINALLY finish my first semester of college, and I have some time. Should I just do both before something gets damaged? I found a performance Camshaft with matching lifters and timing gears for the D2 ready to be put in for 550$,a bearing set for 85$, a head gasket set with all gaskets needed for 160$, and 75$ for the bolts needed for the head gasket kit. I also was wondering if I do this, should I replace anything else while elbows deep in engine bay? like the springs or rocker arms or are those fine?

· Registered
455 Posts
I would first make sure I identify the noise and address it. I would also replace everything that might be suspect while it's apart.

· Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone know how to identify or differentiate a bad bearing to a lifter?

Thanks.

I might just tackle the main bearings first. As its the cheapest and I might as well...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.