Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how these come apart. My sons cable snapped on his selector.
I have taken the middle of the truck out drilled the rivets out and am at the cable but the ends are so rusted I am not sure how them come apart. I have managed to loosen all the assemblies and ends up and Im able to wiggle them now but I can't seem to get than pin out that looks as though its connected to the clasp that slips around the cable.
Any ideas or if you've seen these things or how them come apart would be extremely helpful.

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
I tried to find a picture for you as all of mine have it obscured! its a steel pin that goes through the end of the cable. the pin has an arm on it that has two spring clips. to uninstall you would just pop the spring clips off the shoulder of the cable joint and the the pin will slide out. A picture would be worth a million words on this one but this is all I have!

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes thanks guys this is the exact piece I'm having trouble with on both ends due to rust. I have soaked them and they are movable now I broke one clasp trying to take it off and this one is off my parts truck I actually ended up cutting the lever off the transfer case out of frustration lol...
Anyways so the pin should come out the side with the clasp I'm assuming not sure why mine won't come out.

Attachments

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
helievacpilot x 2 lots of penetrating fluid
probably rusted to the center lever? Its a tight fit but should just pull out with finger pressure.
lots of penetrating fluid - possibly some heat and gentle persuasion with a BFH. Just be careful not to mushroom the head of the pin as it is a tight fit.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys got them out with some heat, freezing spray and penetrating oil and well with the help of a bfh ??
I honestly was almost ready to give up on this one lol... I'd rather do a head gasket job anyday lol
Thanks again for the advice.

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
Glad you got it out - I have to agree that there are some supposedly simple jobs on the landy that turn out to be a real PITA
cheers
Barri

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.