Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
'93 White LWB, 235/85R16, 2" OME, Bottorf bumper,
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a radio console removal tutorial out there, or a section from a maintenance manual that describes it? I just yanked out the aftermarket head unit that came installed in my '93 LWB, but could not see obvious screws or a method for removing the surrounding plastic trim.

ALSO, I found (1) lead plugged into the antenna socket on the head unit, but there was (1) other lead that was NOT plugged into anything, looked like an antenna plug, but it had a 90-deg male plug fitting on it, not the typical straight-type plug. Can anyone guess what that was?

·
Registered
60 Posts
The plastic trim around the head unit just snaps in place. If you're talking about the housing outside that, you need to remove the console starting at the glove box.

There are two antennas for the factory radio, one AM and one FM.

·
'93 White LWB, 235/85R16, 2" OME, Bottorf bumper,
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The plastic trim around the head unit just snaps in place. If you're talking about the housing outside that, you need to remove the console starting at the glove box.

There are two antennas for the factory radio, one AM and one FM.
What glove box? This is not the soft-dash model, there is no glove box, but the hard, squeaky plastic surrounding the head unit LOOKS like it also snaps in place, because I can't find any screws, but I hesitate to start prying.

(2) antennas? That MIGHT explain my awful AM reception! Any idea which one is AM? My guess is it's the one with the 90-deg connector that wasn't hooked up.

Did the OEM head unit have a cassette player?

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
That fascia is larger than you think. It is not just the radio surround as was the case in '91 and earlier trucks.

1) Remove the wood dash.
2) Remove all the screws that secure the upper dash to the center dash fascia.
3) Remove the heat and a/c control fascia.
4) Remove the center dash switch assembly.
5) Remove the fuse box cover and unscrew the fuse box.
6) Feel all the way around on both sides of the center dash fascia for the two 10 mm nuts (per side) that secure the fascia to the bulkhead.
7) Move the center dash fascia away from the dash while unplugging the remaining switches (EAS, heated seats, cigarette lighter, ect.).

Be very careful when removing the two wings of the center dash fascia where the nuts secure it to the bulkhead. It is very easy to break the plastic, especially with it being 20 years old. I sell good clean center dash fascias for a lot of money on eBay because people get aggressive during this part of the removal process.

Good luck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
What glove box?
I'm referring to the box between the seats.

(2) antennas? That MIGHT explain my awful AM reception! Any idea which one is AM? My guess is it's the one with the 90-deg connector that wasn't hooked up. Did the OEM head unit have a cassette player?
Not sure which is which but, my 93 LWB came to me with no AM reception. I swapped the two cables and now both AM and FM are great. Yes, the head unit has a cassette player.

My workshop manual says to remove the glove box and center console first but, I'd skip that and follow Paul's real world instructions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts