Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys - after a 4 year gap, just got myself another rangie - an early '93 3.9 vogue se auto, 91k and pretty genuine / straight. A few niggling little faults but one that's really annoying me - hope you might be able to help ???

There's a really annoying rattle coming from the bellhousing area that I just can't put my mind to - it sounds like a loose timing chain (but is definitely not from the tx box or engine timing chain) - thought it could be an exhaust clamp but nothing loose there. I thought it may be broken catalyst ?? As I understand it there's nothing really in the bellhousing in an auto? Its there all the time the engine's hot but not when cold, hence the cat thought... Only really notice it when idling and its there whether drive's selected or not.

If it is a loose cat can I convert back to a real exhaust legally ?

thanks in advance,

Iain

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
Catalyst!
Mine does that too. I just let mine go and it will finally rattle to dust and stop rattling. I was going to replace them but there is little point.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have (on a 1991 RR 170K) and have heard that rattling in the back muffer is frequent issue. One post said drive a sheet rock screw into it.

This may not pertain.

·
Registered
93 LWB KITTED 95 LWB Chop Top 03 D2
213 Posts
Cats and Exhaust in general

I had the local Muffler shop weld in a pair of Kittys and a flowmaster with a straight pipe back to the tip. They used much of the original piping, and the cost was $450.00 BOOM

I am going to do the same thing on my new Dub, except for the cats.. The PO put in a new stock Y pipe 1k before i bought it! Yippee! It just needs the low growl of the flow...

D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for your replies -

I did some other research and I'm sort of pleased it's only the cat!!

I did also hear about putting some screws through it or even putting a length of wire into the forward end of it thru a drilled hole - but that its rarely a permanent cure because LR put such a brittle structure in there.

Thinks: permanent cure is probably to turn the stereo up!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ps good to be back on the land rover thing! left my range rover at edinburgh airport on tuesday, came back tonight to find a 90 pick up on one side and a 90 stationwagon on the other side - how does this happen ?

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
I always park next to the Land Rover in the parking lot. They see your truck and you get to see thiers. Less likely they will door ding you too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts