Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all you crazt guys and gals who love these vehicles.
My 1994 LandRover LWB has a tired engine, so question is, other than doing the 3.9L install, has anyone done an engine CHANGE?
I'm asking about installing a chevy5.7, or a 4.3, or a Ford 302,or 351 windsor?
I am a california smog tech, so I understand the hoops in an engine replacement.
Just has anyone done such a thing? I will go to penance later.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
753 Posts
My 1994 LandRover LWB has a tired engine, so question is, other than doing the 3.9L install, has anyone done an engine CHANGE?
I am a california smog tech, so I understand the hoops in an engine replacement.
I haven’t seen it done, but anything is possible. Just depends on how much time and money you want to put into it. I’d personally look into fixing up the current motor (depending on what’s wrong with it) first. Keep us updated

·
Registered
3 Posts
Maybe check on what these guys and other customizers do for 50-state compliant solutions. Pricey for a total upgrade, but the mechanical spec should be something you can generally replicate without going all-in.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ls engine swaps with adapters from advanced adapters

·
Registered
50 Posts
How will it go through smog? with a different engine? Won't you have to go to an inspection or something?

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Back in clickers-six, the cool kids in UK were installing big Chevy Diesels in Classics

·
Registered
5 Posts
Grille Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design

LS swap and don't look back. Plenty out there, cheap enough and adapters to play with drivetrains. I have a truck LS with GM SM465 4spd manual, it has an advanced adapters tail housing to make it a Jeep 6 blot 23 spline, and a DCS jeep trans to LT230 adapter to finish it. Plenty of haters out there, but they are cheap and work everytime you turn the key.

·
Registered
50 Posts
View attachment 94550

LS swap and don't look back. Plenty out there, cheap enough and adapters to play with drivetrains. I have a truck LS with GM SM465 4spd manual, it has an advanced adapters tail housing to make it a Jeep 6 blot 23 spline, and a DCS jeep trans to LT230 adapter to finish it. Plenty of haters out there, but they are cheap and work every time you turn the key.
Do you live in a smog state? did you go through smog and how did you get it to pass?
just curious

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you live in a smog state? did you go through smog and how did you get it to pass?
just curious
No I live in Florida. It has a cat and full exhaust. I am running a Fast fuel management system because thats what i was running the original Rover 3.5L on so I left it in and run a MSD controller for the ignition. I dont see why it wouldn't pass smog the gas guage moves way slower than the 3.5.

·
Registered
50 Posts
No I live in Florida. It has a cat and full exhaust. I am running a Fast fuel management system because thats what i was running the original Rover 3.5L on so I left it in and run a MSD controller for the ignition. I dont see why it wouldn't pass smog the gas guage moves way slower than the 3.5.
Well in california we have to have a referee if we swap an engine. And the smog result is vehicle specific so if they see any alteration when they inspect pre test, then they reject you untill you see the referee. it should be less pollutants as the smog specs are vehicle and year specific. I know and you know it probably would be less emissions, getting the Government to recognize that is a whole different matter. My friend has a jeep that we swapped out the carb for a throttle body injection kit, it was made for Jeeps, to help them pass smog. He still has to jump through hoops with the referee. to get it registered..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well in california we have to have a referee if we swap an engine. And the smog result is vehicle specific so if they see any alteration when they inspect pre test, then they reject you untill you see the referee. it should be less pollutants as the smog specs are vehicle and year specific. I know and you know it probably would be less emissions, getting the Government to recognize that is a whole different matter. My friend has a jeep that we swapped out the carb for a throttle body injection kit, it was made for Jeeps, to help them pass smog. He still has to jump through hoops with the referee. to get it registered..
That's too bad. It really makes it a nice vehicle with good power and better fuel mileage. I guess if you wanted to try and be sneaky there are some places to get conversion motor mounts to use the Rover mounts and spend a small fortune on the GM fuelie intake for the LS cause it looks pretty similar to the Rover side mount throttle body intake and through some covers over the coils and roll the dice Lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How will it go through smog? with a different engine? Won't you have to go to an inspection or something?
Out here in the state of huts and fruits, there ate two different types of upgrades.
1. Replacement- this would be an engine of the same family, example swapping out the 4.2 rover motor with a rebuilt 3.9L they are they same engine family, no problem.
2. Engine CHANGE- this is putting a dissimilar engine in a vehicle, ford into a dodge, chevy into a landrover. They it works is basically if I put a 94 chevy tbi 350i ino my Rover it has to meet or exceed what was required on the Rover, ie, fuel injection, evap system, converters. After you get the horse re-shoed, you make an appointment with a state referee, you go in there and they determine it's okay, or not. You must be prepared to strenously contend for your choice of parts. Headers for example, if they are approved in a 1994 Chevy pickup and that is the engine you're sailing with, it is quite legal, or fuel injection, MSD makes a street legal FI conversion with EO numbers, yes quite legal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts