Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all you crazt guys and gals who love these vehicles.
My 1994 LandRover LWB has a tired engine, so question is, other than doing the 3.9L install, has anyone done an engine CHANGE?
I'm asking about installing a chevy5.7, or a 4.3, or a Ford 302,or 351 windsor?
I am a california smog tech, so I understand the hoops in an engine replacement.
Just has anyone done such a thing? I will go to penance later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How will it go through smog? with a different engine? Won't you have to go to an inspection or something?
Out here in the state of huts and fruits, there ate two different types of upgrades.
1. Replacement- this would be an engine of the same family, example swapping out the 4.2 rover motor with a rebuilt 3.9L they are they same engine family, no problem.
2. Engine CHANGE- this is putting a dissimilar engine in a vehicle, ford into a dodge, chevy into a landrover. They it works is basically if I put a 94 chevy tbi 350i ino my Rover it has to meet or exceed what was required on the Rover, ie, fuel injection, evap system, converters. After you get the horse re-shoed, you make an appointment with a state referee, you go in there and they determine it's okay, or not. You must be prepared to strenously contend for your choice of parts. Headers for example, if they are approved in a 1994 Chevy pickup and that is the engine you're sailing with, it is quite legal, or fuel injection, MSD makes a street legal FI conversion with EO numbers, yes quite legal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts