Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been steadily ignoring this subtle clicking noise coming from my engine. It has gotten to the annoying stage and is making me worry a lot that something is very wrong. I have been told that it is my rocker pads possibly or my lifter assembly by random Joe's hearing my disco. My mechanic told me a few weeks back that it might possibly be my cam shaft liner as well. I can take things apart and put them back together pretty successfully and I didn't know if this would be an at-home job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was attempting to add a video with the sound but I cannot. The clicking starts up when the engine is warm and I constant at idle and increases with rpms. I just changed my oil, so I've eliminated the dirty oil theory. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Could be any number of things. If you only are getting noise once warmed up and not when it's cold, it could be a lifter or it could be a cylinder liner has slipped. The second is a known malady with the engine.

Probably the easiest thing you can do is to visit a parts store and buy a mechanic's stethoscope. The cheap one will work. This will help you isolate where the noise is coming from. Run it down the valve covers while the engine is making noise and see if you get an increasing volume in any particular spot. If you find a spot that's louder, move the stethoscope to as far down the engine as you can possibly get- preferably below the exhaust manifold and to where the head mates with the deck. If the noise is louder down there, you likely have a slipped liner.

These engines can often run for long periods with noisy liners. Or they can fail quickly. It all depends on the core shift of that particular casting.

If on the other hand, your noise is coming from a rocker, you may have a collapsed lifter. If you had a worn cam lobe it would make the noise all the time.

Many times, switching to the 180deg. thermostat alleviates the slipped liner noise. But the problem is still there and at some point may cause you trouble.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.