Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the land rover world so forgive me if this is a stupid question. When my 2004 disco is idling I notice this clicking sound coming from the front of the vehicle. It's a bit annoying. It varies between slow and fast. When i accelerate it goes away. Any suggestions? :dunno:

·
Registered
35 Posts
It sounds like the old "cam shaft tappet" problem. Talk to your dealer about installing a "cam button" on some Discos there was an issue where the cam would walk and tap against the front cover. They open the top and install a little rubber button. It works for about 6 months and they starts again.

Damn rovers... :)

Checkout http://www.get-rhino.com we need the exposure.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Or it could just be a loose exhaust header nut, which is common and easy for them to fix.
Enjoy your truck,
Mike J.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Regardless of what it is

It is a warranty issue, take it to the dealer. At least you will get it recorded in the service records so if it is not fixed after a few times you have lemon law protection...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Power Steering pump

One thing I just had replaced, and the replacement part was faulty was the power steering pump. It made a clicking sound when running and when the RPM increased it went away. The way I found it was in the morning when the engine was cool. I could feel the knocking when I placed my hand on the side of the pump (about the only time you can touch anything under the hood, I've never seen an engine put out that much HEAT). Its easy and who knows, this was a OEM 97 for a disco I and apparently inspector 56 didn't do his job.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So i took the disco into the dealer today. Turns out there was a loose "line" (don't know which one). The "line" had a metal tag on it that was tapping against the fire wall. At any rate, they secured the "line" and no more clicking/tapping. :buttrock: Glad it wasn't the cam or something serious. Thanks for all the replies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts