Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After sitting for a half hour or so, I started up the rover and there is all of a sudden a loud clicking noise. The engine seems to be running normally and there is no loss of power or warning light. I've been trying to post a video of the sound but have not been successful. Here is a link to YouTube though:

Engine Sound - YouTube

Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Is it louder near the fan area? Doesn't sound rythmic, correct? Somethings coming loose. Grab the fan and see if it's tight.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
You need to go into more detail, when does it happen, hot or cold? Have you been under the hood and tried to locate the general area of the noise?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

It does seem to be louder in the fan area and it does not seem to be rhythmic. But, I can't locate the exact spot. I initially thought is might be a loose fan but I grabbed it with the engine off, turned it, and everything appears to be tight. I did notice that the fan and the pulley do wobble a bit but if memory serves it has always done this since I've owned the vehicle but can't be sure now. It happens hot or cold. It does not seem to really speed up or slow down as the rpm's increase and decrease but it is a little difficult to tell because the noise of the engine drowns it out. Also does not seem to get louder with higher rpm's, definitely not enough to keep up with the noise of the engine.

In the video, it sounds like more of an intermittent tick. But in reality, it is more of a consistent noise with louder and softer ticks mixed in. It's more of a pop, pop, pop with some louder Pops mixed in.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
You have answered your own question. If the fan and pulley wiggle, you are about to loose a water pump and or viscus clutch, maybe bot so don't drive it.
By the way, what year is it and how many miles on it?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Water pump is probably going out. Wiggle the fan again, but this time, pay special attention to the pulley that the fan is driven off of. If it wiggles at all, replace the pump. If it doesn't wiggle, but the fan does at the clutch, then replace the clutch. does your fan make a roaring sound when hot anymore?
Take off the fan belt and start it up. If no sound, then you know it's not the valve train. While your in there, turn the fan pulley by hand...i bet you'll feel grinding going on..
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
How mechanical are you, have you ever replaced the water pump before?
If not, I would suggest you replace both the water pump and the viscus clutch cause it is probably warn out also.
If you want some help, PM me your number and I'll walk you thru what to check and do.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys.

Incidentally, I have been slowly losing coolant for around 6 months now with no sign of a head gasket problem. I have to top off about once every two months. Could this also be a sign of the water pump going out?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mike

PM sent.

I am somewhat mechanical but what I'm short of is time. I'd like to do it myself if possible. If I just can't find the time I'd be interested in your opinion on what is a fair labor price for doing the work.

I've looked up parts and the genuine parts are of course really expensive. Would a Proline water pump and viscous clutch be high enough quality at a third of the price?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts