Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a weird clunk noise coming from the rear axle ( I believe), but not a normal pattern. The noise is random. The noise happens most when takeing off from a stop (either in drive or reverse). But i can't duplicate when i want. I have looked many times and nothing seems to be wrong.... The closest i can figure is the stabilizer (the leveler in the center of the rear axle).. Any ideas?
:dunno:

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
Can you tell if the Boge leveller is sagging at all? Take a look at the differential. Could you remove it or would removal be blocked by the lower arm of the leveller? I'm getting ready to remove mine because it is sagging and I get a similar clunking sound sporadically under acceleration, deceleration, and cornering. I don't expect any problem because I'm using heavy duty springs in the rear and they should keep the back up nicely. Yours could need only new ball joints or it could require a new Boge. It's not uncommon on vehicles this old.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It didn't seem to be sagging, that is the first thing i though of. I saw a picture a few months ago of a guy who put a OME spring in there and it got rid of his problem... Have you heard of that?

·
rovering??
689 Posts
i get it some times .. generally when i shift from park to revrse od drive...
its a fretty big clunk ... and from what i know it is the tranny doing that ...

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
You can get rid of the Boge Leveller as long as you are using heavy duty springs. From what I have been told, the Boge system does little or nothing when using springs that give you a bit of lift (2") anyway. Using the Land Rover HD or OME HD springs will work to properly support the rear of your Rover and you can be rid of another source of problems in older trucks. Afterall, look at the rear suspension on the first series Discovery. The rear suspension does fine without the complexity of the Boge system.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have any of you removed the BOGE? If so what happened? I pull trailers around quite a bit.....

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
let me know how it does

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What happens if i remove it?

·
Forward!
2,324 Posts
Funrover what type of springs are you running? I used to offroad with a guy that had 90 RRC lifted the whole nine yards, and he took his Boge self leveler out. Used it as his daily driver, and he drove like a nut! Never had any issues with it. As long as you have stiffer spring in the rear there should be no issues.

·
Forward!
2,324 Posts
Have you checked the ball joints on the self leveler yet? That might be your problem, they have a tendency to wear. Oh yeah I forgot to mention about that guy that removed his Boge leveler. According to him, removing it allowed more rear axle flex also! Don't know if there is any truth to that as my 89 still had it, but that is what he said.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Badger1 said:
Funrover what type of springs are you running? I used to offroad with a guy that had 90 RRC lifted the whole nine yards, and he took his Boge self leveler out. Used it as his daily driver, and he drove like a nut! Never had any issues with it. As long as you have stiffer spring in the rear there should be no issues.
The OME 2"....i forgot what number...... but i believe the HD's

·
Forward!
2,324 Posts
Funrover said:
The OME 2"....i forgot what number...... but i believe the HD's
The springs in the other guys truck were RTE and like I said it didn't sag at all. Drove it to and from work everyday, and the back was full of crap, it had a roofrack, sat on 33's with a spare on the roof. I don't know if he towed anything with it, but for wheeling and everyday driving it was fine. If you are 100% sure that's where the noise is coming from then tear that sucker out! :buttrock: If it starts to sag throw some stiffer springs under it. Hell if I lived closer I would help you with the job.

·
Registered
139 Posts
you hear a clunk or a bonk

bonk says leveller.

clunk says u joint. how does your truck feel at 65mph, any new wobbles?

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
azpaquin said:
bonk says leveller.

clunk says u joint. how does your truck feel at 65mph, any new wobbles?
nothing "new" at 65MPH....... The u-joints seem fine, i thought of that too at first...

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've removed my leveller and my big clunking sounds have gone away :) - I've also towed but not anything extra heavy - just a 6'x12' uhaul trailer with minimal furniture. I had no problems when doing this.

I've got 3" Big Blue springs with a 2" body lift and Bilstein shocks (which we found out need new bushing as they make little baby clunks every once in a while)

Get some PB Blaster and take the thing out!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.