Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,1st time posting.Very nice and informative Forum.Can anyone please tell me If converting to synthetic ATF fluid would lower the temps of the transfer case.I have noticed that after driving for a while thats when the case gets noisy.I thought that it was the rear ball joint,but got assistance and crawled under truck.When the gears where changed The noise was definitely the T/C. Thanks in advance to all.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
You can't guess at it, especially if it's a 1989. Early '89s still had an LT230 and late 89's had Borg Warner.

IF, and this is up to you to confirm, You have a BORG WARNER transfer case, you should be using Dexron II ATF, and I believe in using synthetics as they tend to allow for cooling running.

IF IT IS an LT230 Transfer case, you would use 90 weight gear lube.

DO NOT USE 90 WEIGHT in a Borg Warner transfer case, as the internal pump can not handle that viscosity.

Be Sure your clunking noise is not coming from the rear U joint of your front drive shaft.. It's not uncommon for BW boxes to whine one higher milage cars as the chain stretches. Clunking is not a normal sound from the transfer case and if it isn't the front driveshaft, it's probably a bearing well on it's way out in the differential section of the box. Not a good thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.