Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Clunking sound on 99 Disco II

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Hyde 
#1 ·
I noticed when my wife was driving that I kept hearing an intermittent "clunk" noise coming from the passengers side floorboard. It incoincidently happens about once every minute or two under normal driving or deceleration. I feel it in the floor board slightly. Anyone have any clue what it could be or am I the first it's been heard of.

#2 ·
How fast are you driving?

I get the same sound if I apply the gas fast and let off the gas again. I thought it was the diff. I was told by the dealership it is a normal sound because of how fast I press the gass pedal. And that I should not mash the gass. I hope this might help you out. You might want to look at some of the old threads. You might find the one I wrote.

#3 · (Edited)
Bird.The noise you are concerned about, has nothing to do with how hard you mash the gas pedal. Perhaps both yourself and icepick might check the tightness of the shock tower nuts. If one of these works itself loose, every time you hit a slight bump, brake or turn, the will body drop, resulting in the hard to find 'clunk'. If the nut is tight then the clunk is somewhere else. If the nut is loose, when you tighten it, the shock body will begin to spin. You will need to grab hold of it with multigrips passed through the coils of the spring. Be careful when you do this as you don't want to scratch the surface of the shocks. Let's know how you make out.

#4 ·
Icepick
I have only owned my discoII FOR 6 months now but I had the same problem you do. Does your disco have A.C.E system? If it does there is a valve control below the passenger seat under the car. If it is making the sound often your ECU for the A.C.E is going bad or it is already bad. Mine was doing the same thing. I took it in to get it checked out and they had to replace the ECU, at a cost of $800. It is suppose to make the cluncking sound but not every minute or less. hope this helps you out.

#6 ·
If it's the noise I'm thinking of, it's the clearance being taken up between the gears in the transfer case and differentials. I asked my dealer about this, because a co-worker had to have the chain replaced in the transfer case in his Range Rover, and I was afraid I had a bad chain. The Disco doesn't use a chain, and the slack in the gears makes a clunk when resuming speed after coasting or braking. According to the dealer, this is normal, and the Disco has a much stronger transfer case than the RR.

#7 ·
Mine does the same. Totally normal for the D2.

#8 ·
This is not the "on the gas, off the gas" clunk. This is simply a clunk that can be heard intermittently at slow speeds (30-50mph). It does it when driving on a perfectly straight, flat road with no corners, dips or potholes. it also does it religiously on decels at about 15mph, and its much louder then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.