Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a 99 disc. I, almost every time I put the car into drive or reverse I get this really loud clunk sound from around the transmission. It sounds like it's snapping into gear and it sounds pretty bad especially when I am showing the car to people becasue I am trying to sell it. I've heard that changing out the fluid would help and I'm probably going to try that next week but any other ideas? Thanks in advance.
~Mark

· Registered
29 Posts
Doopa said:
Hey, I have a 99 disc. I, almost every time I put the car into drive or reverse I get this really loud clunk sound from around the transmission. It sounds like it's snapping into gear and it sounds pretty bad especially when I am showing the car to people becasue I am trying to sell it. I've heard that changing out the fluid would help and I'm probably going to try that next week but any other ideas? Thanks in advance.
~Mark
is it manual transmission ? could be the play in the prop/ujs, but then you would know already if you had any backlash. I get the same in my 3 speed84 auto RR, but dont know the cause. Hope this 'bump' gets you some answers

· Registered
1,506 Posts
Doopa said:
~Mark
Very common on LRs.... don't worry about it. When you shift into reverse or drive just release the brake a bit and let it roll slightly, that'll eliminate that annoying clunk.

· Registered
21 Posts
Has nothing to do w/ the transmission. It's the brakes. They make something called a "clatter clip" (?) that keeps the brakes from clunking when the wheels are spinning backwards. I got them installed @ midas for $40 or something like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.