Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

My 05 LR3 HSE recently developed 2 very annoying problems that my incompetent dealer service center here can't seem to pinpoint. I'm hoping maybe you guys can help me out as I am running out of patience with these guys. I have ESP so it's not a mater of money it's a matter of them fixing the damn thing.

Issue #1
When gently accelerating from stop I get a rumbling feeling coming from the front end that almost feels like I ran over something. Even though the road will be in fairly good condition. During my last 2 trips to the dealer I've had the following replaced:

Replaced both sides lower ball/joint. Replaced inner and outer tie/rod, and replaced front and rear sway bar bushings insulators.

The noise is still there. They told me to bring it by but they don't know what there is left to replace.

Any ideas?

Issue #2
I'm getting that slight lurch when coming to a stop when the car downshifts from 2 to 1. Doesn't always happen but happens most of the time. Last time I was there they flashed the transmission software but didn't seem to make a difference. Not sure if this is related but I noticed that when I put the terrain response into snow mode or otherwise shift into 2nd with sport mode when the car is not in motion, I feel a kick coming from underneath the car. Any ideas what this could be? Could it be they didn't have the most recent version of the software?

I want to walk in informed this time.

·
Registered
525 Posts
How many miles on it?

I guess I'd be inclined to choose another shop. I know a guy who works at a dealership in Jersey that could probably sort it out for you. PM Me if you want to check out that dealership.

Is the lurch accompanied by additional RPM on the tach, say from 500 to 1000 and back or thereabouts?

Have the properly checked the wheel bearings, CV Joints, Front & Rear Diffs, Front & Rear Drive Shafts, Transfer Case, and checked Transmission Shift Lever for corrosion?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many miles on it?

I guess I'd be inclined to choose another shop. I know a guy who works at a dealership in Jersey that could probably sort it out for you. PM Me if you want to check out that dealership.

Is the lurch accompanied by additional RPM on the tach, say from 500 to 1000 and back or thereabouts?

Have the properly checked the wheel bearings, CV Joints, Front & Rear Diffs, Front & Rear Drive Shafts, Transfer Case, and checked Transmission Shift Lever for corrosion?
I have 71K miles on it. No additional RPM on the tach just a slight jerk when coming to complete stop.

I'm in Brooklyn but work in Manhattan so I drop it off and head to my office. After I take it back to these clowns my next stop will be a shop someone recommended to me in Brooklyn. I'll have them check the other areas you mentioned. Do you think these items would also cause the clunking/rumbling sound coming from (what it sounds like from the inside) the front end?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems like it is in the drive train. Have you tried slipping it into neutral and coasting to a stop to see if it makes a difference?
so looks like at one point or another (probably while offroading?) I must've cause some damage to the radiator and the transmission cooling line. This seems to have caused a very slow leak in the ATF line. The tech working on the car thinks that once we replace the radiator and top off the ATF it should shift fine. Hoping for the best.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Awesome keep us posted, hopefully that should do it. If you're interested in some accessories to prevent that let me know and I'll steer you in the right direction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.