Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all.

95 ex MoD Defender 110, 2.5NAD, LT77, no power steering.

The beastie has just aquired me, have a question about clutch play.

When I depress the pedel there's approx 1-2 inches of travel before any resistance from the clutch, is this normal? Just resistance from the spring.

Also, how much steering wheel play should there be? I have maybe around an inch of play at speed?

·
MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
Gowyn said:
hi all.

When I depress the pedel there's approx 1-2 inches of travel before any resistance from the clutch, is this normal? Just resistance from the spring.

Also, how much steering wheel play should there be? I have maybe around an inch of play at speed?
I am not a mechanic ,however,I have had ex-mod in the past and I believe it would depend on what clutch pack they used in her.They were usualy fitted with Borg.They also had a wierd array of free release bearings mixed with the Borg and Beck plate combo. I have heard that causes play.As far as steering goes...as long as she is tracking well at speed I recon she is ok?? Anyway enjoy your new toy!! :)

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
One to two inches of travel may not be excessive, as long as you have plenty of pedal under pressure. Keep in mind that the full travel of the slave cylinder equates to very liittle travel of the throwout bearing. Be certain that there is no air in the system, give it a good bleeding. Easiest way to bleed the clutch is gravity, making sure that the master is kept full.

1" of wheel play sounds pretty good, sounds like it was well maintained.

How did you get a '95 in Canada? Oh, dumb question, The Quin brought it in.

G

·

I would bleed the clutch system and put new clutch fluid through.

Also check the system for any air leaks.

Hope this works!

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
Gowyn said:
hi all.

This play can be removed by going under the bonnet and removing the small rectangular plate on top of the clutch pedal assembly and adjusting the nuts therein to remove the play its nothing to do with bleeding.And the MOD only used genuine Landrover components when carrying out repairs so the internals will have no bearing on the operation hope this helps ONz

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.