Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 Disco SD and the Check Engine Light just came on. I had read somewhere that at 104,000 the "Service Engine" light would come on as it is a set point for emissions to be checked. When I reached 104,000, the check engine light came on (rather than the service engine light) and when I checked the code with a generic code reader, the code was P1176 Maximum Positive FMFR Correction Fault. Does anyone know whether I just need to reset the fault code or is there a problem with the Mass Air Flow module? It misses some at about 75 mph. Thanks for any help. :)

· Registered
490 Posts
Wade,

Maybe this will help a little. I ran across this code a while back (more than several months). I reset the MIL and saw it reappear one time. "Knock on wood", I have not seen it in about three months... at the least.

Apparently, the engine is having to current a lean mix. (someone might correct me on this). Maybe the MAF. I would check the wires and plugs. Maybe look into injectors if the problem with a miss continues. You could try cleaning the MAF with an electical cleaner... none solvent.

I really never got a straight answer when I posted the same question. I dont have the guts to go to the dealer. Scared they might find something wrong I dont care to know about.

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I'll change the hoses (the new ones arrived today) and get some contact cleaner and use it on the MAF sensor. Thanks for the help. We love our Land Rover; my wife especially loves the visability. It is a good thing I enjoy working on vehicles, though. :)

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Wade,
Stay away from the Maf. If there is nothing wrong with it you stand the chance of making a problem.
At your mileage you could have a number of things that could be causing your code, Plug wires, plugs and your O2 sensors.
At your mileage any or all of these can be warn out causing poor performance.
What sort of maintance have you been doing on your truck?
Mike J.

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
97 Disco and maintenance

I bought the car about a year ago and it had been taken care of, but had a problem which at first I thought was the fuel pump. I'd be driving along and it was like someone turned off the fuel. I decided to put a new fuel pump in it since the mileage was high, knowing that if that wasn't the problem, it wouldn't be a complete waste. I eventually found it to be the speed sensor and replaced that. I've also replaced the ignition switch, changed the oil every 3000 miles and transmission fluid also. It seemed to be shifting a little hard, so I've changed the transmission fluid three times in the last 10K miles and it shifts great now. I've had it to Land Rover for a +-100,000 mile check up and mostly felt like they changed the oil and charged me a bunch. The oil cooler hoses were leaking and I just changed them. (The dealer didn't bother to notice them during the checkup). The Check Engine light came on some time after the last oil change. Supposedly the dealer checked the O2 sensors and replaced them at the last checkup, but they didn't look like they had been replaced. I changed the wires and plugs when I first bought the vehicle. It has a new air filter in it. Any suggestions appreciated.

· Registered
490 Posts
Disco Mike said:
Wade,
Stay away from the Maf. If there is nothing wrong with it you stand the chance of making a problem.
At your mileage you could have a number of things that could be causing your code, Plug wires, plugs and your O2 sensors.
At your mileage any or all of these can be warn out causing poor performance.
What sort of maintance have you been doing on your truck?
Mike J.

I highly doubt a little contact cleaner on the connecters is going to harm the MAF.

As for the wires, plugs, injectors etc. Sure, check those out. Maybe even clean out that plenum. Things simple get dirty regardless how well you care for the outside.

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Code P1176 and a partial answer

I thought someone might want to know. I cleaned the contacts on the MAF sensor and reset the light. It came back on after a while and so I called Land Rover. They didn't have an opening in service until close to the end of January (gee...I wonder why..), but told me the most common cause of the Check Engine light is the gas cap not being put on correctly (at least three clicks). I knew that, but had already had a fill up since the code went on. I filled up again just to be sure. They said for code P1176, if the code was correct, it generally was either the MAF sensor or an oxygen sensor. I'll probably visit our local import junk yard. Hope that helps someone.

· Registered
490 Posts
That wait may be do to some guy getting a LR3 stuck in the mud. I heard ther is a huge problem with loaner car being used for off roading, thus not allow there to be enough loaners out there for people to have during their service sessions.

Yeah, I am be sarcastic!

Good luck with the dealer~

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Code P1176 and Check Engine light off (at least for now)

I filled the Disco up again, flipped the gromet style seal on the gas cap and presto...no Check Engine light. (I think I've driven far enough for the cycle to have turned it back on) I used some Engine Cleaner on the undercarriage rust proofing. If all this keeps me away from he dealer and a $500 bill, I'm happy.

· Registered
2 Posts
code 1176

Thanks for posting this material on the 1176 code. After several short occurences of highway misfiring (on 4 cylinders it seems) an 1176 code was finally generated. The vehicle is a 98 Discovery with 124k miles. This gives me some ideas about places to look!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.