Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Code 1176 Maximum Positive FMFR Correction Fault Disco I

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Jeff 
#1 ·
I have a 97 Disco SD and the Check Engine Light just came on. I had read somewhere that at 104,000 the "Service Engine" light would come on as it is a set point for emissions to be checked. When I reached 104,000, the check engine light came on (rather than the service engine light) and when I checked the code with a generic code reader, the code was P1176 Maximum Positive FMFR Correction Fault. Does anyone know whether I just need to reset the fault code or is there a problem with the Mass Air Flow module? It misses some at about 75 mph. Thanks for any help. :)

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I'll change the hoses (the new ones arrived today) and get some contact cleaner and use it on the MAF sensor. Thanks for the help. We love our Land Rover; my wife especially loves the visability. It is a good thing I enjoy working on vehicles, though. :)

Discussion starter · #5 ·
97 Disco and maintenance

I bought the car about a year ago and it had been taken care of, but had a problem which at first I thought was the fuel pump. I'd be driving along and it was like someone turned off the fuel. I decided to put a new fuel pump in it since the mileage was high, knowing that if that wasn't the problem, it wouldn't be a complete waste. I eventually found it to be the speed sensor and replaced that. I've also replaced the ignition switch, changed the oil every 3000 miles and transmission fluid also. It seemed to be shifting a little hard, so I've changed the transmission fluid three times in the last 10K miles and it shifts great now. I've had it to Land Rover for a +-100,000 mile check up and mostly felt like they changed the oil and charged me a bunch. The oil cooler hoses were leaking and I just changed them. (The dealer didn't bother to notice them during the checkup). The Check Engine light came on some time after the last oil change. Supposedly the dealer checked the O2 sensors and replaced them at the last checkup, but they didn't look like they had been replaced. I changed the wires and plugs when I first bought the vehicle. It has a new air filter in it. Any suggestions appreciated.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Code P1176 and a partial answer

I thought someone might want to know. I cleaned the contacts on the MAF sensor and reset the light. It came back on after a while and so I called Land Rover. They didn't have an opening in service until close to the end of January (gee...I wonder why..), but told me the most common cause of the Check Engine light is the gas cap not being put on correctly (at least three clicks). I knew that, but had already had a fill up since the code went on. I filled up again just to be sure. They said for code P1176, if the code was correct, it generally was either the MAF sensor or an oxygen sensor. I'll probably visit our local import junk yard. Hope that helps someone.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Code P1176 and Check Engine light off (at least for now)

I filled the Disco up again, flipped the gromet style seal on the gas cap and presto...no Check Engine light. (I think I've driven far enough for the cycle to have turned it back on) I used some Engine Cleaner on the undercarriage rust proofing. If all this keeps me away from he dealer and a $500 bill, I'm happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.