Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I guess I just acted in haste and went out and bought a Bosch OBD 1050, the blue tooth kind with with an app for your smart phone. It worked to read the purge valve code and then erase it after I replaced it but that is about all it is good for. It does not support ABS or Airbag scanning for the Land Rover. I called them and their suggestion was to download another vehicle that was listed as supported and see if it could read them then. I have not done that. Not an extreme amount of money, $99, but still pretty much wasted.
I really wanted it to read the ABS codes because I did replace my shuttle valve switch and still get the 3 Amigos intermittently.
Anyway, if someone has a good suggestion for a scanner at a reasonable price, then please let me know.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
You get what you pay for. Under a couple hundred bucks and they're basically worthless. Do you want a Rover specific tool or something that will work on everything?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wife drives a Mini and it would be nice to have one for that as well. The Bosch did not support that vehicle either. It could read the VIN of both cars and identify the Rover but other than generic codes, you're right, useless. It would be nice to have one that can read any vehicle out there but if Rover specific is a better tool, then that is what I would do.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Depends what you mean by reasonable price... and do you want only handheld scanner or you can accept laptop based interface too?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since it is Primeday on Amazon I bought the Autel AL619 and got it for $26 bucks after promotional gift cards discounts and and price slashing. That is the one Felipe said he bought that I had passed over the day before. I also got a trailer hitch for about $150 that is usually more than twice that amount. All with no shipping, love it.
As far as the laptop interface goes, I am not against it. If it would bleed the ABS system, should the system need it after a repair, then I guess that would be an option down the line. Of course, if it goes over a grand then I might have to start back part time in the repair business to justify spending that or make it a regular hobby of flipping these wonderful trucks.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I really wanted it to read the ABS codes because I did replace my shuttle valve switch and still get the 3 Amigos intermittently.
Did you only replace the shuttle valve switches or did you do Option B too?

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
the Autel tool is good enough IMO... and i'm with @Redrover NC when it comes to SVS...if you didnt do the option B wiring mod a new switch pack can be useless

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did not do option B but have been thinking of doing it these last couple of days. I only replaced the switches. No seals were done. All was dry. Option B looks easy enough. I can certainly do that. I just wanted to read the codes since I did the switches to see what it reads. It really may be a wheel sensor after all. I just figure I took care of the switches prematurely.

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
If the intermittent 3 amigos are all reset by ignition at the same time and the ABS warning doesnt remain on alone untill the vehicle exceeds 10km/h it's deffinitely not wheel speed sensor issue and if it stays on as i said it's a sensor that's how you can distinguish a sensor related fault from others and for intermittent 3 amigos the SVS related fault is the most common

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got it. Thanks for the info. The ABS warning does not come on alone. They only come on all together. So it must not be a sensor. I will proceed with the Option B wiring fix.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did Option B wiring fix and no more 3 Amigos. Simple fix really but those little shuttle valve bolts were a nightmare! Glad the lights are off anyway. Also got my new Autel AL619 and it's nice. Much more specific than the Bosch reader. The Bosch is really only good for reading temps and a few other stats while going down the road for diagnosis.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts