Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sort of a long story, but I'll try to keep it short.

Been going on for a while. (No, I haven't been driving it much)

It feels like it running fine. I wouldn't notice any loss of power or rough running at any RPM.

I took it to a decent shop, but no not Rover experts and we was stumped and suggested I look into it otherwise I risked just guessing at repairs to rule stuff out. What we both though was very odd was it doesn't throw codes while hooked up to his scan tool.

Besides the codes, it's doing an occasional no-start.

Plugs and wires are new-ish. 75k miles on it.

Codes:
P1300
P0300
P0301
P0305
P0306
P0307
P0308

So where do I start?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Those are all misfire codes, the 1300 is for multiple misfires. Basically the last number is cylinder if I recall correctly.

You could have a number issues:
  • Bad wires
  • Bad ignition coils - that could explain the no start
  • bad plugs
  • Head gasket
  • CPS senor dead for the no start
There is no simple quick solution, but my 1st thought is coils given you have issues across both banks.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
75,000 is not new-ish for plugs and wires. You need to change those no matter what. Get some plugs you trust (I personally still use Champions and have been for 12 or so years w/o issues) and get another set of 8mm wires for her. Likely need to test your ignition coils.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The ROVER has 75k on it the plugs and wires are probably 18mos old, but not many miles.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also. All of this shows up at the same time. It's not a CEL or codes. Clear it, good or a bit....BAM all back at once.

I'm going to see if there's any arching of the wires tonight.

How does one go about testing a coil? I really don't like getting to the throwing parts at it only to find out all those were good and we still have the issue.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Reactions: masantschi

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Changed out the crank sensor and so far all is well. No codes, no starting issues. Too early to claim victory, but I'm hopeful....I changed it Saturday and so far so good.

Question though. When I pulled out the old CPS it was wet inside the plug. How did oil get in the plug? It wasn't full but I laid the old sensor on my lift arm it there was enough for a couple drips to form on the floor. My rover has some seeps, but no major oil leaks so I'm confused how oil could be getting in a weather-tight connection. Thoughts?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oil leak from the rear of the engine,usually the crucifix seals.
Well $#!%, that does ring a bell.

Is there anyway to keep that from happening again in the short term? I really don't feel like digging into it this summer.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hate when searching and people don't follow up.

We're going to officially say it was just a crank sensor that caused all the misfires and no start. All is well in Roverland for now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts