Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed a rear wheel bearing on 2008 LR2. Wheel bearing change out went smoothly but the warning codes lite up like a Xmas tree after restarted engine. It appeared that the speed sensor was not functioning. Changed out the speed sensor and still getting same codes(ABS,HDC, and others). Engine does not operate properly on start up until you tramp on gas.
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently changed a rear wheel bearing on 2008 LR2. Wheel bearing change out went smoothly but the warning codes lite up like a Xmas tree after restarted engine. It appeared that the speed sensor was not functioning. Changed out the speed sensor and still getting same codes(ABS,HDC, and others). Engine does not operate properly on start up until you tramp on gas.
Any help would be appreciated.
I recently pressed in new wheel bearings in my 2008 LR2 as well. The same exact thing happened. I haven't changed the sensors yet, but that was next on my list.
Did you find a way to fix this problem? I'm wondering what to do next.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was reading a note enclosed in the Timken bearings I just purchased, it says "For vehicles equipped with ABS, the bearing can only be installed in one direction. One of the two seals contains a built-in magnetic impulse ring. The impulse ring must be placed closest to the ABS sensor. You can identify the ABS seal side visually by noting closely the impulse windows or you can use a small metallic object (such as a paper clip) to detect the magnetic side."

I am going to install bearings this weekend. Just tried the paper clip trick and easily found which side is the magnetic one. On the Timken bearings, it is the side with the rubber seal, the other side is all metal.

Is it possible they were installed backwards or the bearings didn't have the required magnetic portion?

Again, only ideas since I haven't done this myself yet....

Carl

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.