Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought in my '99 DI and had the engine codes pulled out it to try and figure out what is going on with the transmission. The symptoms are strongly suggesting that it would be a solenoid, but it never came up on the engine codes. We did, however pull these codes:

P-0158 Oxygen Sensor High Voltage *codes* B D
P-1138 Oxygen Sensor Rich *codes* A D
P-1193 Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Open Downstream
P-1317 ABS Rough Road Line Low Fault

Any ideas on what is wrong with my transmission yet? The truck shifts fine, just doesn't always want to downshift property upon stopping, and when driving 40-45mph it can't decide which gear it should stay in.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
So how many miles on your truck??
Sounds like it is time to be replacing your O2 sensors.As for the shifting problem, how often do you service the tranny, you may have a really gummed up valve body or your MAF may be failing which will cause your type of shifting problems.
If you are not over 100,000 miles you may want to look into why your O2's are failing.
Mike J.
99 DII

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike. The truck has just over 80,000 on it. Other than getting around 12mpg, it's running pretty well. I had the tranny flushed at about 73,000. The fluid came out clean. I was thinking that it might be a bad solenoid somewhere in the transmission which could be the cause of the irregular shifting. But I'm far from a mechanic. What are the MAF sensor and where would I go about checking the valve body?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
The MAF is alos refered to as an air mass meter, it is the inline box on the air hose between the air filter and the throttle body. When it starts to fail it can cause shifting faults including one for 4th. gear up and down shifts. May want to check your codes again after you replace your 4 O2 sensors. When these sensors start to fail, your power falls off, much less responsive then when new. There are four of them and they should all be replaced at the same time. They are a little pricy but there are some places on the web to buy them right.
How about your plugs and wires, have you changed out the factory plug wires, if so you are way past do and a set of 8mm. Magnacor wires will make a hugh difference in how the truck runs and your gas mileage.
Take care of these thing as well as adding a can of Lucas tranny additive and you should be running alot better. If the tranny still feels funny after all of this, recheck for codes looking at the MAF and or the tranny fault codes.
Good luck,
Mike J.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again for the help and suggestions Mike. Being in Northern Wisconsin, the closest LR dealer is 3 hours away. So it's a real pain for me to bring in my disco and leave it there. I called my mechanic today, told him to check out the MAF sensor and see if it's in good order. He explained to me that it was very possible that there could have been more engine codes but his OBDII reader didn't pick them up because it is a Rover. I checked the classifieds here and found all of the O2 sensors as well as a MAF sensor.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
JamesVee said:
Thanks again for the help and suggestions Mike. Being in Northern Wisconsin, the closest LR dealer is 3 hours away. So it's a real pain for me to bring in my disco and leave it there. I called my mechanic today, told him to check out the MAF sensor and see if it's in good order. He explained to me that it was very possible that there could have been more engine codes but his OBDII reader didn't pick them up because it is a Rover. I checked the classifieds here and found all of the O2 sensors as well as a MAF sensor.
You might want to call AutoLogic Diagnostics @ 1-800-533-2210, they can give a name from their locator list of the shops closest to you that handle their diagnostic equipment which is the next best thing to Rovers Test Book.
Before you start partsing out your truck trying to fix it, find out exactly what's wrong, it doesn't sound like your mechanic has a good back ground in Rovers.
Mike J.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My mechanic most definitely does not have a good background in Rovers. He called me today after testing the MAF sensor. He told me that the sensor was indeed pretty dirty and gave me these numbers:
Engine Off, = 0
Engnie Idle, = .08g/sec

He then further explained to me that he was unsure on what my truck should be at. I'm going to call AutoLogic Diagnostics and check that out as well. My bro is coming home from Madison this weekend with a OBDII Code Reader so maybe he can pull something more out of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.