Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I converted to coils for my 98 4.6 several months ago, and I have recently noticed the ride has gradually degraded; not as smooth as when the coils were first installed. Has anyone experienced the same? And is it normal for the new coil system to have some "settling"?

Also, it is up for 60k service. Anyone know the approximate cost at both an independent shop and dealer? I know it generally costs more at dealer, but since I have the radio-code reset issue and I also need an extra remote key (bought used, had neither), I kinda entertain the idea of bringing it to the dealer. Wise decision?

Edit: Can the radio theft-deterent system be disable? I believe all new Disco's do not have it enabled at delivery unless requested.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
So whos spring conversion kit did you use. I don't think I have ever heard of one settling so quickly. Over many years and hard trail maybe. actually most likely.
You need to talk to who ever supplied/installed them for more info.
Do you plan on a lot of off road trails? There are spacers you can install to get the height back but they won't help the ride at all.
I am curious what brand of springs you used.
Mike J.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, Mike. I am curious about it myself and will find out. I was kinda a rover rookie, and after I got the coils installed at an independent shop here in LA area the ride was very good (if not exceptional) so I did not question much. The ride still is very good, but just not as good. Also, the left rear side is about about half an inch lowerer than the right rear side but I did not measure it before so no way to tell for sure if this is as a result of any settling. Any info on 60k service? Thanks again, Mike.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Here is a copy of my idea of a 60K that I sent someone on another web site yesterday.
It should get you started in the right direction. Happy wheeling.
Mike J.
02-04-2005, 11:57 AM #9*
JUST REMEMBER YOU ASKED FOR IT.
I did my 60K about 5000 miles ago, I did it because I want my truck to last along while and do what I ask of it easily.
This is my list as such, change it anyway to fit your thoughts, it is just the way I maintain mine..
Plug wire replacement, Magnacor 8mm.
Bosh Platium Plus 4 spark plugs
Air filter, I us a K&N
Coolant flush
Brake flush, with synthetic brake fluid
Power steering flush with synthetic fluid and Lucas additive
Service both diffs with Gls rated 140 wt oil or at least synthetic oil
Service T/case with GL6 or synthetic 90 wt. oil
LOF 20/50 Castrol Synthetic Blend and Lucas synthetic stablizer and K&N #3001 oil filter
Transmission service with filter, Lucas fluid and additive
Decarbon engine with Seafoam or B&G's 44K

All that plus the usuall inspections and tweeks needed.
This may sound extreme, but it is alot cheaper the having the dealer do it and my truck is left in better shape afterwards.
Let me know if you have any questions,
Mike J.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rovermech said:
when the shop did the conversion did they also replace the shocks? I have done several spring conversions and have not experienced this problem yet, but i aslo put new shocks on each one every time.
Thanks, rovermech. Yes. I did take a look after installation and it was a complete set of shinning-new springs and yellow shocks, though no names found. It could just be me getting older, grumpier and my futile attempt of hair-splitting. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Disco Mike said:
Here is a copy of my idea of a 60K that I sent someone on another web site yesterday.
It should get you started in the right direction. Happy wheeling.
Mike J.
02-04-2005, 11:57 AM #9*
JUST REMEMBER YOU ASKED FOR IT.
Will go by the list, Mike. :wave:

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
It is a little over kill but if you want the old Rover out there for years to come, this is the way to go.
Good luck,
Mike J.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
You have no excuse, there is a real active group in N. Cal. as well as some great trails. Trust me, once you get out, it is like a bad rash, you just keep going back and scratching some more every weekend.
Mike J.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.