Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished the new 2"+ coil kit from atlantic British but I added some spice with another 2.5"
20201006_085917.jpg
terraflex spacers from a jeep. I'm taking bets on what I break first.

·
very disco
1,783 Posts
first item broken: my brain!

it looks like a lift of that magnitude paired with the geometry of the suspension... has moved your rear wheel measurably forward.

would look great with [email protected]$$ tires, but it doesn't look like they'll fit. also maybe, reduce front spacer to 1.5" for leveling

that's a very adventurous lift. if you go wheeling, I'd suspect the CVs haha

Reactions: Sasquatchface

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yeah man that looks like a ticking time bomb....also it looks like a "Bro Truck" with those tiny tires mounted! Get some 33s on that sucker!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it's silly but I never believe what is possible until I break it myself. And 35s are in the future but I have 2 sets of 19s and need a set of 18s.

·
very disco
1,783 Posts
It would probably look badass if you could fit 33 or 35 inch tires, but... the wheels are far from centered in the well /-:

I have 5” lift on my D2, no regrets and no rub with 34s

gotta scrap the 19s tho. Largest tire I could ever find was 255/65/19 and it’s rather tame

Reactions: Sasquatchface

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have stock sized winter tires on my 19s. Perfectly good usage for those rims. I drove home from the Yukon Territory configured as such in 2014. Long trips like that....it's good to be stock!

·
very disco
1,783 Posts
that's the best picture I've ever seen. I really wanted to do that with my RRS before I sold it... remove the Johnson rods from the front and use my nanocom to slam the front and skyjack the rear!

I think that's my new wallpaper

·
Registered
2005 LR3 SE V6 w/Coils & 2008 LR3 SE V8 HD w/ 2.5” rod lift
17 Posts
I hope you get 35’s on that LR3. My 05 with coil springs needs to pay attention...

Seriously wondering how much work it would take to get those axels centered with that, or dare I say, a slightly higher lift. I wouldn’t daily drive it, but weekend wheel trips with a rover that can do the serious rock trails!!! Come on!

·
very disco
1,783 Posts
I love this thread.

I think it would be unrealistic to reposition the suspension and hubs to center... or at least, more realistic to hack the fenders and doors out some. I bet you could find (or fab) some bushwhacker fender flares. Then 35s all day, oh my D2 to shame.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I love this thread.

I think it would be unrealistic to reposition the suspension and hubs to center... or at least, more realistic to hack the fenders and doors out some. I bet you could find (or fab) some bushwhacker fender flares. Then 35s all day, oh my D2 to shame.
Y’all are getting me fired up now...

I don’t know, Rev, I actually looked hard at that the other day... These rigs are such a dual personality of ladder frame with unibody sitting on it, and there’s a whole lotta unibody between the rear door seals and the wheel wells. Don’t get me wrong, a slightly shorter wheelbase LR3 with ginormous flares and giant bias Maxxis Trepador tires will do just fine... ahem.... need a min to recover from that vision... We just need to put pen to paper on the suspension reposition in parallel to see what’s best in the long run.

Related: Have you seen this D2 getting new one ton axles and all new suspension? this guy is no joke and his wizardry in metal fab is incredible

I’m also a huge fan of portal axles... wondering if we can get that extra lift we really need with those and not have to reposition the geometry of all the underparts.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
124 Posts
This is ridiculous and hilarious, and is completely the type of thing I would dream of doing while looking at cheap LR3s on Craigslist, and then talk myself out of for a variety of reasons. I'm excited to see what the future holds for this thing - it would look killer on 35s. It will probably be a dog, and I should invest in whatever company you buy CVs from, because they are about to get a massive uptick in sales, but it will all be worth it for the insane looks and off road capability.
I’m also a huge fan of portal axles... wondering if we can get that extra lift we really need with those and not have to reposition the geometry of all the underparts.
Depends on how much money you want to spend. Anything is doable with enough time and money, but portal axles are incredibly expensive, and I'm almost positive nobody has ever attempted to fit them to an LR3. While it most likely can be done, it would require extensive fabrication that would most likely be far more trouble than it's worth.
Not trying to talk you out of it though... that would be amazing if you have the money/skills/time (and, since portal axles give a bit of a lift, you could lower the suspension a little bit and get slightly more life out of your CVs and the rest of your suspension components).
Hacking the fenders, as inelegant a solution as it may be, and throwing some flares on it would likely be the easiest and cheapest route.

·
very disco
1,783 Posts
I’ve reviewed that build thread more times than I care to recount! That and the crazy asshole in UK who made the 6x6 D2... I love it, but that D2 with the axle swap and Humvee wheels is ridiculous. Don’t get me wrong; with the time, bankroll, and aptitude i would build a rover to make nanuuq look like house party 2, but as I reel myself back into reality, I recognize how incredibly adequate much of our stock running gear is.

agreed, keeping... nay extending the LR3 wheelbase would be ideal. My main concern would be the suspension. I know those jeep guys will weld their axles and suspension to anything within reach... while subbing a Dana from barnyard Chevy lol.Whatever works

·
very disco
1,783 Posts
Don’t get me wrong, I’d love one of those in the stable... i do however enjoy some semblance of practicality as I drove my D2 every chance it get.

still jelly tho

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hope you get 35’s on that LR3. My 05 with coil springs needs to pay attention...

Seriously wondering how much work it would take to get those axels centered with that, or dare I say, a slightly higher lift. I wouldn’t daily drive it, but weekend wheel trips with a rover that can do the serious rock trails!!! Come on!
I definitely can't go higher but the wheel wells will work with 35s the way it sits. I did already break a CV boot and the joints are at the hairy edge. I will post more as things improve or degrade.

·
very disco
1,783 Posts
If anything “improves” with that geometry, your next round of axles is on me!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Badassery right there.

Please tell me more! Tire specs, width? Lift? Coils or air struts? Wheel offset? Frame horns trimmed? Wheel wells / arches modified?

Edit: ok, at the gym On the tiny phone and didn’t notice it was you. Lol. So is this the same Suspension setup in your first post with the off geometry? It looks like it’s not as bad as original post, but it may just be that all I can see is a LR3 on 35’s! 🤩

1 - 20 of 67 Posts