Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had experience of cold starting?
Had my '96 2.5 DSE for a year now, replaced compressor Air bags etc, just lately, when freezing or below, its become a pig to start, wait for heater sign to go out, but it takes a minuite or so to start, it 'sort' of fires, trys, but won't catch, eventually it does, it will be ok all day from then on. If the outside temp is 0 or above, no trouble. I suspect the glow plugs, bought a new set, but hav'nt got round to fitting them yet.
My question is this, has anyone ever fitted these & whats involved? I've checked the fuses to see if a 'cold-start' circuit has failed, but did'nt find one. Could the cold start circuit have failed somehow & yet still show the glow plug symbol? In which case the glow plugs would still be ok.

· Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
Ok, around freezing it will be a hard start.

but the problem might not be the glow plugs.

First off, Diesels do better with an oil change right before the cold sets in. And use recommended fluids. Synthetics are a benefit but use the same if not lower weight oil. With all the crap in the old oil it does get a little hard to turn over.

secondly, on diesels make sure the battery is charged. Batteries dont have a full charge at as the temps drop.

Finally fuel. Diesel anti gel. And drain the fuel filter of any water.

Does this mean the glow plugs are bad. No but I would start with that first.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, It HAS new oil, filter & battery, the reason I suspect glow plugs is that, even below freezing, once started, it starts on the button from then on, all day

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, this morning at 1030hrs I started to pull out the old glowplugs, fairly micky-mouse job, took a bit longer than I expected, but I did degrease & clean all the underside 'crud' off the various parts.
I've just finnished1215hrs, & ran it around the block, seems ok, started very easy, but there'rs no frost to-day, we'll see what happens when it freezes!!

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update, this morning at 0530hrs, -2 celsius, thick frost on all glass, turned key, glow symbol out, the engine was running before i'd let go of the key!!
Glowplugs it was. :) :)

· Registered
3 Posts
Cold starting problem

It seems like I have a similar problem. Car starting and running fine. Serviced car ( 2.5DSE BMW engine) changed oil, filter and fuel filter. Started OK and used for a couple of days in south UK in temps of 3-5C. On third day car would not start despite spluttering a bit. Battery recharged still no start. left overnight and started first time and used all day. Next day nothing, cranks but no start. Glow plugs changed as 4 out of 6 not working but still car will not start even with jump leads to boost failing battery. Any ideas? Is it possible something was disturbed during the service?

· Registered
3 Posts
Cold starting problem

Further to my last post I have now found that there is no feed to the glowplugs despite the light illuminating on the instrument panel. Local land rover garage not very helpful saying its probably the "Ignition heater relay" but could not explain where this device is situated other than "its under the bonnet" Anyone got any clues? Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.