Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe the cold is just a coincidence, but on my 95 4.0SE the engine does two strange things: 1.) Every time you shut the car off there is an audible whistling sound which sounds like a WWII bomb dropping or a fan winding down. The sound only sounds for like 2 seconds and then stops (The amount of time between when the key is turned off and the engine actually stops turning. 2.) When the car is running if the RPM's drop to like below 750 then the engine will emit a constant squealing / whining sound which immediately goes away by bringing the RPM's up by 100 or more. This squealing / whining is only intermittent, it does not happen constantly. The car runs fine, I have had the squealing problem of the Classic alternator before, but this doesn't seem the same. This is something that "just started" about 1 month ago.

Any ideas? I know its not the engine, can the auto belt tensioner come loose?

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Most likely it is not the engine but one of the driven componets on the engine, puleys, a/c, alternator, water pump or fan. the question is how to find which one.
You are going to need to speend some time under the hood with a long screw driver and listen around.
Mike J.

· Registered
127 Posts
Belt squeal...

Hi Troverman,
My guess for the squealing would be a slipping belt, they tend to slip easier when everything is cold. Everything metal will expand a little as it gets hot which tightens things up a bit.
My power steering pump will squeal on hard turns at low rpm when cold. After the engine gets hot the squeal dissapears even at full steering lock!
If your belts are a few years old its probaly wise just to change them all out & keep the old ones for spares/emergencies. When slipping belts squeal its often not just a loose belt but actually stretched & the "V" is worn which reduces the belt to pulley contact.
If your not too worried about original LR belts? Then a full belt kit can be purchased for approx $50-$60
As for your whistle...try lubricating any moving parts such as the alternator spindle, AC pump spindle, power steering spindle. If you use a spray lube with a long tube you can normally shoot the lube right where you need it!
Good luck,
Andy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.