Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK.. I know that a lot of this has been covered before but please be patient with me as I am a mechanical nobody and all I know how to do with my truck is drive it!

I should (fingers crossed) be able to get my cars service history when I take possesion as it has all been done at the dealer (all the books are in french though!)

Obviously it will be important for me to check the swivell balls (I saw them mentioned in another thread!) and for any leaks from the engine/transmission.

Are there any warning signs I should look out for that will give me an idea that the Lucas o2 thing (whatever that is) needs replacing?

Any other advice would be wonderful. Thanks a lot for all you patience guys... I really appreciate it!

:wave:

· Registered
1,506 Posts
Check all hoses (power steering, oil cooler and trans cooler lines).

If you have any power steering leaks then check the hose uner the power steering fluid reservoir. Lucas makes a great product to help stop small leaks (for the leaks under the power steering box). You can also try a very small amount of brake fluid to swell the seals.

Check for exhaust leaks (common cause is loose nuts on the down pipe).

If you plan on doing water crossings I would advise against the swivel grease since it's hard to drain and clean. Stick with 140 wt.

ABS is a problem.

Check for rust under the floorboards (under carpet), and in cargo area.

Check for rust on C pilars (when opening the rear doors).

Just a few thing sto check. Good luck.

· Registered
72 Posts
Are you buying a diesel or a petrol Disco 1? Is it an auto or manual. I have found with the Disco they are a brilliant vehicle BUT you have to be a proactive owner. If you want to buy a 4x4 and don't mind that it is uncomfortable and lacks character but is very reliable and causes minimal problems buy a Toyota Lancruiser or Nissan Patrol. I have run Landrover Disco's for several years and still find them the most comfortable and capable 4x4 the down side is they do take a fair degree of owner input. Take a bit of time to learn about them and you start to love them(well some of the time). :lol:

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
aussie disco97 said:
Are you buying a diesel or a petrol Disco 1? Is it an auto or manual. I have found with the Disco they are a brilliant vehicle BUT you have to be a proactive owner. If you want to buy a 4x4 and don't mind that it is uncomfortable and lacks character but is very reliable and causes minimal problems buy a Toyota Lancruiser or Nissan Patrol. I have run Landrover Disco's for several years and still find them the most comfortable and capable 4x4 the down side is they do take a fair degree of owner input. Take a bit of time to learn about them and you start to love them(well some of the time). :lol:

I have purchased a 98 Disco XS 3.9lt V8 auto. I am an Aussie too but my fiancee is working for the Emabssy in Beirut, Lebanon. Anyway, as a diplomat I paid no tax so I got the car for about $4,300AUD ($3,500USD for you jelous Americans!) But I only had a day to have a quick look at the car before I had to bid on it (it was a silent auction) and I have very little mechanical knowledge.. which is why I am here trying to learn a bit about what to expect. I THINK it has only done 75,000km but it might be in miles but until I take possesion of the car I won't know for sure (didn't think to check the spedo!)
It has supposedly been serviced every 5000km at the Rover dealership and it probably has as it was a British Emabssy car so it was all govt. paid. I hope to be able to get a full history of what has been done to it. It has probably been on rough dirt and sandy roads but I doubt if it has ever done any serious 4WD work. We are close to the sea here so rust could be a problem. Can anyone reccomend an effective way to treat rust?

Thanks! :drive:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.