Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having serious electrical problems on a 1997 Rangerover 4.0ltr. The display panel on the speedo reads "slow 55kph" all the time, the suspension indicator always shows 3 lights, Radio, air con, heater, heated window and electric seats not working. I have been told it's the "Buddy Computer" under the drivers seat. Does anyone have any idea what the fault is and where can I get a new or better still a good second hand unit from. Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
I don't want to swear by it, but I don't believe it's the ECU. I would suggest you start with checking fuses, switchs, wiring and the bulbs.
Mike J.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.

Thank you for your help. I have tried all the simple solutions you stated the other day apart from the ECU. Where is the ECU and what is its function. Hope this is not a daft question but I am a reasonably good spanner man but have only basic skills in electrical.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
If it is the ECU, your trucks main computer, stay away from it and find a good mechanic to check it out.
Mike J.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The EAS having 3 lights lit will will show the slow 55kph message as the Ecu thinks theres an air suspention fault.What height is the suspention,is it on the bump stops,DON'T TRY AND LOWER IT if its not as it may not raise again.
The BECM (body eletrical control module )is under the drivers seat,It has the fuses plugged into the side of it.
I would try checking all the fuses with a test meter,cleaning all the earth points and checking that all the plug connections are good by dissconnecting the battery first then move the plugs in and out a few times.Most of what you mentioned have their own control ECU's so I would'nt jump in at the deep end and buy an ECU unless your 100% sure.Ill take a look later at the eletrical drawings to see if the systems are linked,But I'm 90% sure the EAS only sends a signal to the becm hence the "slow 55kph"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Thanks for your help up to now. Talk about it never rains. My 97 Discovery has now decided to split it's heater matrix. A good spanner job to keep me out of the way over christmas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.