Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Wife's best friend just visit and let her drive her newly purchased '04 Discovery and she loved it. Driving position/visibility, handling, ride, fit and finish, practicality etc... all seem quite good. We were in the market for just such a Sport Ute but have little familiarity with the LR line and now are considering. My question is what's the scoop with reliability? I have the impression that over the years the brand has taken it's lumps in this catgory but I have never really looked at it hard enough to know how well founded that rep. really is. Any insight from the "user experts" ? Thanks in advance! :dunno:

Paul

'02 Lexus IS300 5sp

· Wheeler
1,837 Posts
Go for it !

I drive an '01 Disco II and hit the off-road trails all summer long in Colorado. I'm at 65k and haven't had a single serious problem. I think the rep of poor reliability w/ Discos is BS. People hear something & they just pile on. There are a lot of "car hypocondriacs" (sp?) out there,,,,, It's not a Honda Civic, but it'll go places a Honda Civic will never see. Even if you're exclusively a highway driver, you'll have great performance in snow, ice, & other adverse road conditions.

4,346 Posts
Any vehicle is reliable when properly cared for, so just perform maintenence and everything should be alright. Go for it man! Besides, no one in here isnt going to tell you to NOT get one unless they're messin around. LRs are great vehicles ( if they werent the UK Mil wouldnt still be using them, not that they use Discos but you know what i mean ) :cool:

· Wheeler
1,837 Posts
Jump Seats

Mine's an SE-7 w/ the rear folding jump seats. They are definately kid-sized though a smallish adult can ride in them for short distances w/out inducing leg cramps. The seats are actually big enough for an adult, but they are mounted to right to the floor so it's like sitting on the floor w/ your knees in the air. (Actually, mounted to the side but connect in the 'down' position to brackets in the floor). I once took an entire 6-yr-old B-Day party 4-wheelin' in my Disco! However, they cramp down on your storage space a bit. My wife drives an Escape which actually has much more usable cargo space. Despite the Disco's rep as a "grocery getter", it's actually not that great at getting the groceries. W/ the 3rd row seats, two tool bags, and recovery gear, my space is pretty much eaten up. The nice thing though, is they have fold-down headrests and are all leather (matching your regular passenger seat leather). They even have their own headphone hook-ups so you don't have to listen to P-Diddy or Marilyn Manson w/ the teens in tow. Come to think of it,,, it's much more luxury than I really needed considering how much money I've put into it in off-road mods. Should have bought a bare-bones Disco,,, ,,, and saved the dough! But at least I'm stylin' :buttrock:

· MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
Disco Purch

:buttrock: HI-I HAVE HAD SEVERL DISCO'S IN THE PAST. THEY HAVE ALL PROVEN RELIABLE IN THE ROUGH AND ON THE ROAD.I SUPPOSE IT DEPENDS ON WHAT ENGINE YOU GET.I HAVE HAD 300TDI'S MOSTLY AND A STAGE SERIES V8.THE ONLY PROBLEMS I HAVE HAD HAVE BEEN WARPING DASHBOARDS AND WIRE HARNESS ISSUES ON THE 300TDI MODELS. ONE WAS SERIOUS ENOUGH TO WARRANT A NEW LOOM.FORTUNATELY THIS WAS AT THE DEALERS EXPENSE.IF IT WASNT IT WOULD HAVE COST SEVERAL THOUSAND £.DISCO'S ARE A REALIABLE FRIEND FOR THE FAMILY AND OCCASIONAL OFF ROADING.IF YOU LIKE THE MUD,YOU WILL NEED TO UPGRADE THE US SUSPENSION TO A HIGHER RATED GAS SHOCK LIKE A KONI.OTHER THAN THAT....GET ONE.A GREAT OFF ROADER WHEN SET UP TO WHAT YOU WANT!!! PERSONALY,GET A DEFENDER.YOUR WIFE WILL PROBOBLY HATE IT,BUT WHAT THE HELL.

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Engine options

Where is the best place to learn about what package and engine options I should consider? As I said earlier I am just ignorant about the product line, to include trim lines power plant variations. I am really enjoying reading your comments- keep them coning! :D

· Wheeler
1,837 Posts
Nolefan said:
Where is the best place to learn about what package and engine options I should consider? As I said earlier I am just ignorant about the product line, to include trim lines power plant variations. I am really enjoying reading your comments- keep them coning! :D
I'm not sure there are many engine options. I think the only options are trim, since they don't sell the diesel in U.S. (yet?). Not sure about '04 model but in '01 options were mainly SLS (self-leveling air suspension in the rear) and ACE (active cornering enhancement, which apparently minimizes body roll on turns at higher speeds). I am of the opinion that this is more stuff to break & am in process of removing my SLS (I don't have ACE). You can probably look at trim options on LRs own website or just cruise by dealership & see 'em up close & personal. Depending on how much you want to spend, you may get a better deal on a lease-return w/ warranty. Also, the big question is always if you expect to go off-roading,,, you would be surprised how the off-road "bug" hits once you take a LR off the beaten path.

· Super Moderator
743 Posts
I have drive both S and SE 2004 models (loaners from the dealer) The drive train is identical on both. The following are the differences I intially noticed, but I am sure you coud option either model out in similiar attire.

Interior:

S - Leather, in dash CD, dual climate control, cruise, rear defrost, auto dimming mirror.

SE - Leather, Captains Chairs, CD Changer, dual climate control, cruise, dual sunroofs, headed wind screen, rear defrost, heated seats, compas in rear view mirror, auto dimming mirror.

Exterior:

S - 16" rims, no side moldings, black plastic front bumper, no front fog lamps, no trailer hitch.

SE - 18" rims, side moldings, color matched front bumper, front fog lamps, trailer hitch included.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.