Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a 2008 LR2 SE. It has had two owners and been well maintained as evidenced on Carfax records. It drives well and is perfect for my needs. Two things are concerning me and am wondering if those more familiar with the brand could give me advice. 1.) It has a barely noticeable rattle when driving. I did not realize it at first, like I had to actively listen for it. 2.) The Carfax report says engine mount(s) replaced. What does that mean? I wanted to buy an extended warranty for it but was told not available due to the age. Thoughts?

·
Registered
29 Posts
So, the rattle may be nothing, may be the beginning of an expensive repair. All depends really.
Engine mounts I wouldn't worry about. Due to the mileage it was probably just a mechanic/dealer saying they were maintenance items.

I would encourage you to take it to a trusted mechanic or dealer and have them do a full inspection. If the mechanic you would have working on it says it's a good car, then there's not much better endorsement.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So, the rattle may be nothing, may be the beginning of an expensive repair. All depends really.
Engine mounts I wouldn't worry about. Due to the mileage it was probably just a mechanic/dealer saying they were maintenance items.

I would encourage you to take it to a trusted mechanic or dealer and have them do a full inspection. If the mechanic you would have working on it says it's a good car, then there's not much better endorsement.
Excellent advise. Buying used is always a gamble regardless so getting a good trusted mechanic that is familiar with Land Rovers is hedging your bet and limiting your risk.

·
very disco
1,063 Posts
The LR2 is lacking the majority of systems which cause most Land Rover owners headache and expense. If your mechanic signs off, negotiate the price down and buy it.

rattles are usually pulleys or suspension, neither of which will break the bank. A bad motor mount may rattle, but will also usually produce a thump during abrupt acceleration or braking.

If you skip the mechanical inspection, at least throw a code reader and see if there are any stored or pending codes.

cheers

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
From your post you do not seem to be much mechanically inclined. Unless you intend to do a lot of work on it yourself or do not mind paying someone else to keep it running, you might reconsider whether you really want to be a Land Rover owner.

·
very disco
1,063 Posts
Ahhh cmon @tyl604, the freelander/LR2 is the perfect entry-level LR. No EAS, simple(r) powertrain, modest little six cylinder...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ahhh cmon @tyl604, the freelander/LR2 is the perfect entry-level LR. No EAS, simple(r) powertrain, modest little six cylinder...
It would be nice if people who don't know stop making statements like these. The Freelander and the LR2 are different vehicles. Look it up. Its not even the same chasis. As for OP, I purchased a 2008 with 150k miles and haven't had any issues. I started to hear a slight hum somewhere in the rear end. Hoping its just a hub bearing and not the differential. From my research, these vehicles tend to have issues with the rear differential going out early..

·
Registered
2 Posts
The LR2 uses the same V6 engine as in the Volvo XC90 and others. It is an inline 6 known as SI6. Generally a solid engine, engine mounts are a maintenance replacement part, not something to worry about. Very good engine and a great vehicle.

·
very disco
1,063 Posts
The Freelander and the LR2 are different vehicles.
The LR2 is called the Freelander 2, just as the LR3 is called Discovery 3 overseas. Yes they have tons of differences between FL1 and FL2, just as the differences between D2/D3.

what i said stands true, even if I was talking about a Ford Escape and a Toyota RAV4
No EAS, simple(r) powertrain, modest little six cylinder...
no matter how you qualify or quantify the difference between FL1 and FL2, I will always be correct that they have no EAS, a V6 engine (here in NA), and the same name in the UK. Both the NAS Freelander and LR2 were the entry level LR, and despite its differences/improvements, the Freelander (LR)2 was the second iteration.

while we are “looking things up” perhaps you can google “Freelander 2”

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, XC90's also share the Haldex rear differential and they can fail. However it is not a every car problem and is easily identified. Also I have heard second hand that unlike Volvo, Land Rover has a fix for the differential. Volvo considers it non-repairable and Land Rover has a repair kit

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, XC90's also share the Haldex rear differential and they can fail. However it is not a every car problem and is easily identified. Also I have heard second hand that unlike Volvo, Land Rover has a fix for the differential. Volvo considers it non-repairable and Land Rover has a repair kit
Great insights! @reverendALC and @bblake12

1 - 11 of 11 Posts