Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a thread a while ago about isuzu diesel converions. Well I am still looking for a suitable isuzu engine. None have come up for sale sice I have been looking. typical!! There is a mercedes D240 1975 complete car for $750 and a daihatsu diesel truck for $550. Which would you guys recommend. These both seem quite reasonable I thought, but am just wondering as to the costs involved in getting the adapter plate. WHats the best way, get one made myself, or buy one from someone. If I should get one made, how do you go about it. just look up the stud pattern for a landie gearbox and the same for the engine and take it to some sort of engineering place? How much should this cost (in Aust)
Cheers,
Dick

·
Registered
734 Posts
Sounds like a cool project. I would try and find a plate that has already been fabricated for your conversion...someone else has maybe been through the headache of fitting and trying different versions and it may save you time and ultimately $$$$.

·
Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
There is a thread somewhere in the series or hydrit boxs that deal with the adaptor plates for Merc diisel.

Ill go for the Merc diesel. It is vrey good enjins and easy to maintain.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bugger,
the merc was sold before I could get there to have a look at it. not to worry, will keep looking, something is bound to pop up. yeh, I would rather a merc or isuzu, haven't really heard much about the diahatsu diesel.

·
Registered
19 Posts
DickFox said:
I posted a thread a while ago about isuzu diesel converions. Well I am still looking for a suitable isuzu engine. None have come up for sale sice I have been looking. typical!! There is a mercedes D240 1975 complete car for $750 and a daihatsu diesel truck for $550. Which would you guys recommend. These both seem quite reasonable I thought, but am just wondering as to the costs involved in getting the adapter plate. WHats the best way, get one made myself, or buy one from someone. If I should get one made, how do you go about it. just look up the stud pattern for a landie gearbox and the same for the engine and take it to some sort of engineering place? How much should this cost (in Aust)
Cheers,
Dick
If you put 4BD1 into google you might find some wreckers. I know Wanless truck wreckers in Brissie usually have this sort of thing. I think the army rovers run a (isuzu) 4bd1-T. I used to have a SIII with a 4BC2. It ran great except I had to replace 24V starter with 12V. Trouble with wreckers is they want too much $$.
Cheers
Ben

·
Registered
7 Posts
A friend of mine put a Diahatsu motor in his series 3, it was a 2.5 litre and it really was a slug on the road, though he did travel all around Australia with it. I think the 2.4 litre Mercedes diesel would also be under powered , an early (up to 1985) 3 litre mercedes would be a good option. they are a good motor and easier to convert to run on waste cooking oil than the later Mercedes diesels, if you want that option.
It's hard to get the Isuzu diesel from a wrecked Land Rover though, no one wants to part with them, they are usually rebuilt even from wrecks.
If you have a local wrecking yard they would be in the HOT LINE and can check other wreckers for an engine right across Australia. The Isuzu won't be cheap though , the Mercedes 3litre diesel should be more available.

kind regards...Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.