Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any diesel engines that are available in the US that will easily mate up to a Series running gear? I am looking for a possible engine for a SVO conversion in my '71 IIA and was wondering what others have had goodluck with running. I'd prefer a turbodiesel if possible. I'd like to do a 200/300/2.8l TDi conversion but am put off by the cost.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I haven't seen them myself but here in S.A. a few chaps have put in Isuzu 2.8 td engines. They have also been doing it in the forward controls. On my last club trip there was a chap with a Nissan 3.0 diesel onto which he put a turbo. Don't know if that helps.

·
Registered
139 Posts
what'd you pick that up for?

Mercedesrover said:
Not friendly but do-able. And there's nothing that runs better on WVO than a Benz!!

I am sure there are many in the junk yard? Any pics of your conversion? Step by step?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mercedese into Landrover

Mercedesrover, thats an interesting conversion. What engine is the adapter ring designed to fit? is it the 4,5 or 6 cylinder engine? Out of curiosity, how much would you charge for one of those adapter kits. The reason I ask is that I wouldn't mind converting my own series to a diesel but I would like to stick to a six cylinder. That kind of limits me to Nissan Patrol, or early Toyota Landcruiser. Old Mercs with big diesels can be bought quite cheaply here and have rep for reliability and decent power. It might be nice to try a 300D engine.

Dave.

·
Registered
59 Posts
They fit the 616/617 4/5 cyl. Mercedes diesel engines. The 2.4 616 is perfect for an 88" and will work in a 109 but may be a bit underpowered at around 70hp. The 3.0 617 is a bit big but it's been done before, but not by myself. That may be my next project. Anyway, both engines have the same rear pattern and this adaptor will work equally well with either.

The adapter with all the studs and bolts and a pilot bushing is $600 US plus shipping.

If you're interested, drop me an email.

jim
[email protected]

Edit: Here's what it looks like done.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jim, Will you be at Lime Rock this weekend for the fall festival?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Mercedesrover said:
They fit the 616/617 4/5 cyl. Mercedes diesel engines. The 2.4 616 is perfect for an 88" and will work in a 109 but may be a bit underpowered at around 70hp. The 3.0 617 is a bit big but it's been done before, but not by myself. That may be my next project. Anyway, both engines have the same rear pattern and this adaptor will work equally well with either.

The adapter with all the studs and bolts and a pilot bushing is $600 US plus shipping.

If you're interested, drop me an email.

jim
[email protected]

Edit: Here's what it looks like done.

Will that adapter plate work on a Disco r380 5-speed?? If so, I want one!!!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will the Merc 2.5 TD from a 300D work? I saw one yesterday and they looked like very robust engines, plus turbo'd

·
Registered
59 Posts
The 2.5 5cyl wasn't used in a 300D (E-class car) but in the 190D. There were two models available: the 602-911 normally aspirated and the 602-961 turbo. Not really thought of as a robust engine.

There was a 3.0 6cyl that was used in the 300D E-class car. There were also two models of this engine produced: the 603-960 and the 603-961 depending on if the car was a 300D or an SDL. Great motors but they're BIG and have lots of computer controls. Not ideal for a Land Rover!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.